What kind of girls don't have female friends?

red shoes

There's this really pretty and sweet looking girl I know. She claims to have few or no female friends, and her best friend is a guy.

I'm curious whether it's because she's good looking that other girls are jealous of her so refuse to be her friend. Or she has such a bad personality that girls don't care for her.

Any clue?

Maybe she only had brothers and no sisters. Alot of women (like myself) who grew up with brothers and no sisters feel closer with men. When you are pretty and different from most women sometimes they do show jealousy which makes one avoid them. Also I notice girls who had no sisters don't seem to be as emotional as other females.

• Like 1
There's this really pretty and sweet looking girl I know. She claims to have few or no female friends, and her best friend is a guy.

I'm curious whether it's because she's good looking that other girls are jealous of her so refuse to be her friend. Or she has such a bad personality that girls don't care for her.

Any clue?

Women are notorious for being jealous and catty.

I am average looking at best, but I still get women who are very ugly or very fat giving me a hard time.

Unhappy single moms enjoy insulting me as well, because they are jealous that I have a nice husband and I am not stuck raising a kid alone.

It could be very possible that other women are jealous of the person you are posting about.

• Like 2

I have a core group of great female friends. It's hard for me to make female friends. Not because I don't want them but they seem harder to become friends with.

Possibly being raised by my father had something to do with it. Always was a tomboy. I still collect insects. And then after my brothers came along I had a blast playing with them and often beating them down if they were naughty.

The girl you're describing could have problems with women for an array of reasons. Or simply prefer the company of men.

• Like 2

Maybe she finds other women really annoying or that she has little in common with them. I don't have close female friends either, but do have plenty of guy friends. I have a few female acquaintances, but I don't spend much time with them because we have so little in common. While I feel I have a broad spectrum of interests I don't meet many women that share them and aren't annoying.

I also second the women often being catty or jealous comment. Tune into any reality tv show and yeah women like that are everywhere lol. Women like that have a huge issue with women like myself and the girl you've met having guy friends. It's like they think we're putting on an act and are secretly plotting to steal all the men or something. *eye roll*

Could be any of the reasons all the posters have said. Watch out that she is the type of girl who has lots of guy friends because she loves the attention. You should be able to pick up on this fairly quickly however by her behavior

Any clue?

Could be either. I don't trust a woman that claims that they don't get along with other women because I know a lot of great women.

On the other hand, women can be nasty when they are jealous- and it doesn't matter if they are 18 or 80, they will ostracize another women if they feel threatened. I know a lot of those women too- and they are cunning and brutal.

If she states openly that she doesn't get along with other women, she's someone to run from. If she doesn't play victim but just doesn't seem to have female friends, she might just be a pretty girl that's been ostracized.

• Like 5

The amount of male friends that I have far exceeds the number of female friends. I've never really given it much thought but I find that I have less common interests with other women. A lot of women I come across seem to worry about things that I consider trivial and generally don't share any type of outlook with.

I agree with the other posters here in regards to cattiness among female friendships. As much as I regard these friendships, I can only handle socializing with certain girlfriends in small doses. This has been a deterrent effect from fluctuating demeanor if they feel inhibited due to their insecurities. I'm not talking about full-on b*** mode but just awkwardness all around that completely vanishes once the sun comes up.

As for considering many of their hollow disturbances trivial, a good example is that I tend to catch on to the reasons behind their uneasiness instead of wasting my thoughts on superficial headaches.

This type of issue has never occurred with my male friends but if it did, it would be entertaining :lmao:

• Author
Maybe she only had brothers and no sisters. Alot of women (like myself) who grew up with brothers and no sisters feel closer with men. When you are pretty and different from most women sometimes they do show jealousy which makes one avoid them. Also I notice girls who had no sisters don't seem to be as emotional as other females.

She has only one brother. Does that count?

I agree that some girls could be jealous of her but this one seems a little iffy.

It's like they think we're putting on an act and are secretly plotting to steal all the men or something. *eye roll*

I've heard that she's stolen the men. I can't vouch for that but from what I can see, she flits from one guy to another, pretending to be their platonic friend.

Could be any of the reasons all the posters have said. Watch out that she is the type of girl who has lots of guy friends because she loves the attention. You should be able to pick up on this fairly quickly however by her behavior

Could be either. I don't trust a woman that claims that they don't get along with other women because I know a lot of great women.

On the other hand, women can be nasty when they are jealous- and it doesn't matter if they are 18 or 80, they will ostracize another women if they feel threatened. I know a lot of those women too- and they are cunning and brutal.

If she states openly that she doesn't get along with other women, she's someone to run from. If she doesn't play victim but just doesn't seem to have female friends, she might just be a pretty girl that's been ostracized.

She does love the attention. I'm sure other posters would think I'm jealous of her but I find her terribly pretentious. I'm not jealous of her flirty behavior but more her pretenses. And that's what I've picked up on.

The amount of male friends that I have far exceeds the number of female friends. I've never really given it much thought but I find that I have less common interests with other women. A lot of women I come across seem to worry about things that I consider trivial and generally don't share any type of outlook with.

I agree with the other posters here in regards to cattiness among female friendships. As much as I regard these friendships, I can only handle socializing with certain girlfriends in small doses. This has been a deterrent effect from fluctuating demeanor if they feel inhibited due to their insecurities. I'm not talking about full-on b*** mode but just awkwardness all around that completely vanishes once the sun comes up.

As for considering many of their hollow disturbances trivial, a good example is that I tend to catch on to the reasons behind their uneasiness instead of wasting my thoughts on superficial headaches.

This type of issue has never occurred with my male friends but if it did, it would be entertaining :lmao:

She tries really hard to be friends with girls. But she always ends up giving more time and attention to the guys. So the girls actually wonder why she wants to be friends with them in the first place.

I've heard that she's stolen the men. I can't vouch for that but from what I can see, she flits from one guy to another, pretending to be their platonic friend.

[....]

She tries really hard to be friends with girls. But she always ends up giving more time and attention to the guys. So the girls actually wonder why she wants to be friends with them in the first place.

I know someone like this and she has been trying to cause havoc in my social circle because she has been trying to compete for attention amongs my male friends. She has been pretending to be trying to be friendly with me but when the conversation dies (it does inevitably as she always starts talking about herself and I get bored), she will go and complain to my male friends that I don't want to be friendly to her.

When it occasionally gets back to me I just say 'so who is b**ching in our group, her or me'? And my friends just nod, they are not stupid, they understand that she is being difficult on purpose. That's the end of it.

Your smart friends will get it OP. Just make sure you don't get involved regardless how much she provokes you. If you look whiter than white everyone will know it's her. Just be easy going and ignore her.

• Like 1
  • Author
I know someone like this and she has been trying to cause havoc in my social circle because she has been trying to compete for attention amongs my male friends. She has been pretending to be trying to be friendly with me but when the conversation dies (it does inevitably as she always starts talking about herself and I get bored), she will go and complain to my male friends that I don't want to be friendly to her.

When it occasionally gets back to me I just say 'so who is b**ching in our group, her or me'? And my friends just nod, they are not stupid, they understand that she is being difficult on purpose. That's the end of it.

Your smart friends will get it OP. Just make sure you don't get involved regardless how much she provokes you. If you look whiter than white everyone will know it's her. Just be easy going and ignore her.

I ignore her except her pretenses get to me. She pretends to be nice but is only so pretentious. And she keeps trying to be my friend. Some people say that's a challenge for her, getting me to like her too. :lmao:

xPiercethenikki

Almost all of my friends are guys.. o- o

It's absolutely not a problem..

I have never had much trust in girls, especially since most of my girl "friends" screwed me over in the long run, and were always just plain rude to me. So I've stuck to more guys.

I just rather hang out and play video games with a guy, rather than go out to the mall and buy shoes. ._.

todreaminblue

In my life I have had mainly guy friends, i have two life long close female friends, who know my history and dont judge me.....in the past i have hung around females who were highly competitive and often not that friendly in fact pit vipers , are an apt description ..i never fit in in this environment....i stand up when others get put down including me.

pit vipers suck..instant isolation..had a few problems when i have tried to befriend females, I am a little wary, I don't like joining in the gossip mill.putting other women down, shaming, that sort of behaviour..makes me uncomfortable.....reminds me of the past, and how i was treated...in saying that i am now part of a relief society of women....and they are wonderful accepting friendly, lovely people....I can blend in and even talk when i feel i want to

I actually feel at home and i never have before .....I don't get that undercurrent of animosity.They are more like an extended family, they aren't perfect, they do their best so I fit in great.

I get a welcoming feeling....and that is new....to just feel a part of something good,tides change as has my circle of friends...less men ...and I can express how I feel without being judged or isolated....that is home to me and it happens to be part of a church....so I am a happy girl

Alot of people feel men are more competitive than women, I think women at times can be more callous more disregarding of differences than what men are and downright vicious and destructive to other women..I have found this to be true in my walkabouts and i am pleased to know that it isnt always the case.....im happy where i am .....deb

Women are notorious for being jealous and catty.

Pretty much it. I have been grateful to have met some very laid back female acquaintances but women are generally not very open and too quick to judge. We are so judgmental on each other for choosing how to give birth to our child, what clothes we wear, how much we weigh, whether we wear make up or not...its such a headache. I even feel like I have to tippy-toe around my guy friends who have girlfriends, in case they get the impression I'm gonna "steal their man" lol. Guys are generally way more laid back and fun. You can be stupid and just hang out. I'm also more of a tomboy and very passionate about video games. I don't mind wearing makeup but clothes, shoes, manicures and most everything feminine bores the crap out of me. Plenty of females play video games too but so many of them are super catty as well. Sigh. Doesn't help I'm quite shy too so I guess alot of people get the impression I'm a snob. Just hard sometimes.

Edited by Aedra

I was bullied a lot, but that left me wary of both sexes. I've always had at least a couple of female friends, and now I have many more - when my issues aren't getting in the way.

• Like 4

I can't say I disagree with this because it does make sense. There's one friend in particular I was referring to-about being awkward when she feels uncomfortable. She just acts different when we're socializing with men, doesn't voice much of her opinion, basically afraid to oppose their ideas and just laughs at everything--this has happened when they're all her acquaintances. On the other hand, I love a good topic, especially when there's opposing views. Not for arguments sake but to hear why they feel a certain way.

I have a follow up question for the guys here, what about a woman with more male friends than female friends is concerning?

Some girls may not have girlfriends if they are shy and introverted. Those who have guy friends, but no girlfriends may be attractive, and therefore are not readily accepted by other women because of jealousy issues. Some women may relate better to men, rather than women, so they don't pursue friendships with women. Women who grew up with only brothers or were raised by their father may come in that category--relating better to men.

• Author
Women will be friends with good looking women if they are kind, considerate, empathetic, sympathetic, etc.

They avoid women with problem personalities but not all women with problem personalities. Too many prima donnas and gossip mongers will have tons of female friends.

Women who act strangely, make little passive aggressive inappropriate comments regularly, or use men excessively for attention seeking are usually the first on the chopping block.

You almost hit it on the nail. She's not the only good looking female I know. I have a few other good looking female friends and they have other female friends. So I don't agree that good looking females necessarily invite jealousy even though they most often do. But not to the extent that they don't have other female friends.

This particular one use men excessively for attention. She asks men to buy her flowers when she has a boyfriend. One other guy friend even said that she just likes the attention.

I don't have many female friends. I have maybe 3, and only 2 are close-ish. I have a very hard time with women. Nearly every female I've become friends with and tried to have a close friendship with has betrayed me. I don't want to sound like a victim here, either, but it's the truth. Some of my posts in the friendship forum have been about just that. In my earlier twenties, I had a group of girl-friends I'd hang out with and be in close contact with... however, they were a toxic bunch. Very, very competitive, always talking behind each other's backs (I don't dig gossip, or partake)...I felt like I had to walk around on eggshells with them. When I distanced myself because it was all just getting too ugly, two of the girls of the group pitted up against me and literally harassed me for two years straight. These were grown women (with children, might I add) creating false social-networking profiles about me, prank calling me, calling my work (yeah, neither of the two worked for a living, go figure)... I don't think anyone from that group speaks to one another anymore. Not surprising. I sincerely hope they've grown up and are happy with their lives.

Another friend of mine that I knew from HS took up talking to my son's dad (my ex, we all went to the same HS together) and began an emotional affair with him, subsequently breaking up his engagement. At this time she was also divulging information to him about me/my life (I did not know of the extent of their contact). This all happened shortly before it was revealed to me (by his ex-fiance) that my ex had a drug problem and was not behaving like a responsible parent, and I was going through court proceedings to have him investigated and his partial custody revoked. So basically, my friend was going to him, telling him of my intentions and so forth. :mad:

One of my good female friends admitted to me that she didn't like me when she first met me. I am a little quiet/reserved at first, and I believe people think I am stuck up for that reason.

I have many male friends, but it's different - I am lacking closeness with a female that I can't get with a male. Even at work, I don't have any female co-workers that I go to lunch with. The reason for that is because I refrain from gossiping about others, and that's pretty much what the conversation is about. It really stinks. :(

Edited by venusianx13
  • Like 2

I think women who prefer the company of men for companionship are the very same girls who were treated poorly by girls in their earlier days.

My daughter and my niece are more thoughtful than emotional. That's how they're wired. Neither have tons of girlfriends but I think it's because they get along with boys better because most boys aren't emo.

If they are, they'd be the ones with lots more female friends than male.

• Like 6
I was bullied a lot, but that left me wary of both sexes. I've always had at least a couple of female friends, and now I have many more - when my issues aren't getting in the way.

In school (until my sophomore year of HS), I was bullied a lot also. I was always an easy target, because I never spoke up for myself. But guys never bullied me, it was always girls. This made me feel more comfortable around men in the long run and that remains to this day.

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

I am of course joking about this. Yes typically when younger woman are bullied by others. When my wife was still alive she told me some horror stories of what women did to other women in High School. You guys were nuts compared to what other guys did to each other. I was only mildly bullied when I was younger but by sophomore year the abuse was over. I chalk it up to some freshman hazing. Seriously though, bullying is nothing to make fun of. Hope you forgive me with the last comment because it really isn't funny.

I have a follow up question for the guys here, what about a woman with more male friends than female friends is concerning?

IME, those have been 'collectors', often in a relationship or married but with predominantly male associations. The key dynamic to watch has been how the person interacts with the spouses of her husband's male friends. That's usually telling, along with how she interacts with her husband's male friends.

I would be less concerned if a woman had only a few good female friends, compared to a larger group of male friends, *and* demonstrated positive social behaviors with her spouse's/partner's wives/SO's. Concern would turn on the totality of the dynamic rather than any one particular aspect.

• Like 1