Having mutual friends who hate each other

CautiousLoops

CautiousLoops

How do you handle this? We were all big one happy group of girlfriends. Two of the girls had a nasty fight over the summer and while friend #1 has moved on (while she does not like friend #2 or wish to be best friends with her, she is cordial and mature, will come and hang out, isnt bothered that friend #2 is awful to her - basically is the bigger person), the other (friend #2) has not. We cannot hang out as a group anymore because friend #2 makes catty comments or refuses to acknowledge friend #1. There have been situations where we have all been out and friend #2 will show up, see friend #1, makes a scene and either ends up leaving, or stays and makes everyone else uncomfortable.

I very much like both of these girls, we have been friends for years. I have approached friend #2, letting her know this puts me in a crappy position with her as well as friend #1, but she does not relent from trying to talk to me about friend #1 or get gossip from me or spread gossip. I am tired of it and honestly its very hard to have to maneuver every outing to make sure everyones happy. We had to split new years bc friend #2 didn't want to hang out with friend #1. Im tired of leaving people out - were 32 years old!!!

We have a group outing this weekend for a friends birthday. Everyones promised me they will be on their best behavior (I have had to be the peacemaker lately) but the comments have already begun from friend #2. I honestly don't want to go but Im not going to do that to my girlfriend on her birthday. I wish they would just talk to one another but it doesn't look like thats going to happen and I just don't know how to handle it.

Has anyone been through this? Is there a way I can approach friend #2 one last time thats not rude (at this point Im appalled at her behavior). I just need to find the right things to say to her so she understands.

Worst situation ever!!!!:mad:

You say that friend #1 isn't bothered by this person's rude behaviour. Just to make sure I understand things properly, are you confronting friend #2 because her behaviour is making you and everyoneelse (except friend #1)feel uncomfortable?

Normally I would say let the two of them deal with it between themselves. But if this is an issue where the whole group dynamic is being affected, it might be time to stop inviting her out to group events. What do other people think about it?