Very Jealous friend

kerme

Rant! I've been friends with Carrie for over 10 years. I've always been there for her - even thru her crazy a** marriage. Carrie's been extremely nasty to me the last two years. I won't go into detail- too long. It all started after I got a promotion at work and started making alot more money than her. I worked damn hard for it. We used to work with each other, not anymore. Carrie quit the company. Carrie is now a single mom, working in what she admits is a dead-end job. She could do more, make more but instead says she gives up.

Carrie always tries to humiliate me in front of our group of gal pals. It hasn't worked. Instead she just makes herself look like a b**** and wanna-be bully. It's pretty sad to watch. She used to at least try to be subtle. Now she's just outright nasty. Our friends have told me they plan to drop her from the group. Carrie has a college degree but just won't use it. She seems to hate any female that has accomplished something for herself. I know it's time to cut Carrie loose. I feel embarrassed for her when she makes a fool of herself in front of our friends.

Even though she looks so depressed, I can't overlook her hatred. I haven't done anything to her and I can't waste any more time playing her silly games. She always whines about how she wishes she were prettier, smarter, richer, whatever, whatever. Should I confront her or just drop her immediately?

Edited by kerme

a bitter single mother, she sounds like the father of the child did the leaving, i've met a few of these mothers, no trail-blazing for the sisterhood, they see a ruined life, she may improve, but some women aren't cut out for parenting, though we're supposed to be perfect, she has a crummy life, but you must go for your own sake

Edited by darkmoon
  • Author

Yep. I think I should have gone a long time ago. I'm finally realizing just how toxic Carrie is. Her problems won't become my problems. What a waste of a friendship. Why are some women like this? I don't think she'll improve. If anything, she's only gotten worse. She's just so jealous of everyone. She has so much hatred. If she spent half as much time working on her life as she spends on being nasty to me, she could accomplish something. I'm proud of what I've accomplished and where I am in life. I think she's angry that she can't do anything to change that.

I know most of our other friends are fed up with her for various reasons. If any of them choose to hang out with her at any given time, I just won't be socializing with them while she's present. Who needs that kind of insanity in their life? She has two kids. Hopefully her boys won't turn out anything like that. And yes, her kids' father left her. She didn't treat him all that well. I won't confront her. It's not worth it. I'm done.

Edited by kerme

Carrie clearly lacks love for herself. If Carrie can find that my bet, she would be a much better friend. She can't love anyone else until she loves herself. :)

Mea :)

• Like 1

i think you should tell her she's wasting her IQ, jus write to her, maybe she'll realize that she's being a pain, but say bye if she carries on

I had a friend like this and over the 10 loooooooooooooong years I knew her, I kept hoping I'd be a good influence on her and she'd realize that she wouldn't be happy until she worked at something for herself. It never happened. She watched me work so hard at everything I've got in my life and just got nastier and worse.

Jealousy breeds hate.

In the end, I had to just cut her loose. I'd bet she's still the same person right now but I'm glad I'm not dealing with her jealousy and hate anymore. After 10 years she didn't see what people like us can see. Just work hard at your goals and accomplish whatever you can and want. It's simple for some people and impossible for other people.

I don't think they change or wake up.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like she's jealous of your success & her lack of it. The work promotion, poor relationships etc. all speak to her character. She may just be going through a rough patch & need help. I've been deeply depressed for the past 2 years & an old friend is trying to help me get thru it. I would keep my distance but maybe not drop her for good.

• 2 weeks later...

I would confront Carrie about your concerns, she might realize what she is doing sooner or later, she might not notice or care what you have to say, she would not notice or change instantly as she's probably trying to protect her pride. But she will one day realize when she has no one, she will remember what you've said and know where she went wrong. I wouldn't cut her loose that soon yet, let her know what you thing and ask her why she is doing this to you. Then after a while if she's still acting the same, then she's just immature and acting like a little teenage girl, maybe she shouldn't be having or looking after kids if that's the way she acts and needs to really grow up and take care of herself first before judging other people's lives and accomplishments.

friends are ppl who are happy for you when you excel in life

it sounds like she's very frustrated and bitter

we alone are responsible for our own happiness...NOT our family, friends, partners or spouses

tell her that and if she continues to behave poorly, i'd drop her if i were you