How to respond to this friend's FB complaints...

CarrieT

I've posted before about a particular friend with whom I have a few issues. We've been friends for 20 years, but in that time, as the OW she had a MM's child. She never filed for paternity or child support and there have been constant complaints about money issues. I've also loaned her substantial amounts of money which I know I will never see (I've written that off).

This latest issue is that at almost 50 years old, she has decided to go back to school via the internet. She has taken out more loans and during our weekly phone calls, is already complaining how - as a single mother - about the level of anxiety she has in dealing with working full time and starting school.

I applaud her for trying to change her life but over the weekend - after an hour long phone call of her bemoaning the amount of homework and lack of time and money - I see an 8-hour progression of her posting banalities on Facebook. Literally, every 30 minutes or so there was a photo change, some life-affirmation phrase, or some cartoon.

So, when she posted this morning that she is asking for an additional $3k in financial aid to only work four days a week, I made a comment that if she gave up social networking, she might find enough time in her day to do her homework. I wrote it as an encouragement that she stay off FB and reward herself with it when she finished an assignment or once a week, to check in.

Needless to say, it was not received well. How best to respond? I truly believe she is capable of getting this degree, but I have seen her start these types of programs no less than five times in the 20 years I have known her and she has yet to finish one of them (and why she owed me money - I lent her tuition for one of the holistic schools).

I appreciate your feedback...