Dealing with the overly critical roomie

Last year I lived with 3 good friends of mine. Things worked very well for most of the year but towards the end one of my friends began nitpicking me over a large number of, IMO, rather meaningless little things (like loading the dish drain in a way he liked).

This unfortunately started after we had signed a very expensive lease to break for this year. He moved out for the summer, and returned yesterday.

Tonight he picked up where he left off at the end of last year. He pulled me aside to let me know that he was unhappy that when he had given me and another friend some scotch to taste last night I had not tried it in the manor he had prescribed for trying it. I did not clean my glass as he thought I should inbetween scotches and I swallowed one that I did not like in a gulp rather than savoring it.

In my opinion this is being far more critical than most people would be (he, and his best friend whose behavior I think he is trying to emulate with his complaints, are the only people who have ever had issues with how I conduct myself or things that I do). I don't enjoy constantly apologizing for things that I think are ridiculous to complain about and don't deserve an apology, and don't want to have to do this on a consistent basis, yet I suspect no matter how much I limit my interactions with him he will continue to complain.

So ive got 2 questions:

1) Do you think that the two complaints I mentioned were legitimate? or was he being overly critical?

2) If you think that he was being overly critical, do you have any good recommendations for dealing with someone like this in a living situation?

Thanks!!

u live with him - but - he is not your husband even though he sounds like he'd be a controller once he's wed :laugh:

i'm pro gay marriage

1) Do you think that the two complaints I mentioned were legitimate? or was he being overly critical?

Yes, he was being far too critical. Anally, in fact.

2) If you think that he was being overly critical, do you have any good recommendations for dealing with someone like this in a living situation?

Thanks!!

"Oh, shove it up your ass!" Usually conveys everything quite well, I find....

It works better if you give a disdainful look and walk away shaking your head, ok? ;)

Yes, he was being far too critical. Anally, in fact.

"Oh, shove it up your ass!" Usually conveys everything quite well, I find....

It works better if you give a disdainful look and walk away shaking your head, ok? ;)

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Tell him where he could put his "scotch" up.

Just get rude to him in his face and see how quickly he backs down. He sounds like he has "bully" tendencies.