Cant seem to make friends its getting kind of old.

Komsan6063

So, basically i cant make friends worth crap. It all started my 10th grade year in high school when i did a 1 year study abroad to Thailand. While i was there i was extremely popular in my school because i was the only white kid and i had an awesome supportive group of friends. Before i went on the exchange i also had a good group of people to hang out with. During my exchange due to busyness and lack of internet i rarely talked to my friends back in the states.

When i got back i was put back a grade because i didnt have any credits to transfer back here. Since i had lost communications with all of my friends but 2 while i was away, i came back to basically nothing. Also ever since i returned i have felt out of place and thus very quiet and shy. I managed to do 10th grade then 11th and 12th at the same time. During that time i only really hung out with my 2 good friends that i had kept. Now 2 years later i am sitting in my college dorm alone at dinner time eating some chips. At my new college i know nobody from my home town. So when i got here i was alone yet again. I have been here for about a week and i have no friends. I have talked to people in classes in a club i joined and my room mate and other people i have introduced my self to around the campus but i dont even have a person to call a friend or go to lunch with. Both of my friends from home are at different schools. I also took a summer semester here in which i was also very lonely. I didnt make any friends then either. Now i am kind of getting annoyed because no matter what i do noone seems to want to stay around. I talk to people for 10 to 20 minutes, an try to keep the conversation interesting but once its over i never see the people again.

I wouldnt consider my self wierd, i actually see my self as perfectly normal. I dont dress like a slob. I don't act like one either. I dress nicely and i dont smell. I am also very nice and try to help people when i can. But nothing seems to work. I have already accepted that i will be alone for the next 4 years and it is kind of depressing thinking about it. I do have a girlfriend, but she lives in Thailand. We have been together for over 2 years and have a wonderful relationship. We plan on getting married after i finish college / graduate school. The only problem is that we are in a long distance relationship so i only get to see her for a few months at a time when she comes here or i go there. Can anyone help me? Am i doomed for the rest of my college life and should i just study my ass off and give up trying to make friends?

Sorry for my poor typing/errors/spelling/gramatical mistakes i wrote this kind of quickly and my damn D key is messed up. =D

(ADDED) I dont know if this is directly related or not but before i went to Thailand i was short fat and single. While i was there i lost 90 pounds. Grew 7 inches and grew leg hair and stuff like that. Also i met my amazing girlfriend there. When i got back to America i gained all the weight back.

Edited by Komsan6063
Diamond_Dust

I think many people have issues making friends (myself included). I'm a bit on the introvert side and I have a pretty niche set of things I like so it's a little difficult but not impossible.

I've found that if you learn to be happy doing things alone ppl eventually come along that enjoy those things or just come along because you're happier.

Just try to enjoy the good things about your life. I think joining clubs at your school is a good idea. There's also meet ups and things for other hobbies (I'm not sure what those are for you so I couldn't really suggest anything specific)

I get a lot of joy from talking to ppl online who are into the same things too even if I'm not seeing ppl everyday into the same things.

I see myself as weird but some have told me I'm not so maybe we can't really judge that so much for ourselves. I do hope you find the friendship you desire... (pssst I went to a movie alone yesterday and wasn't too worst for the ware... I think you'll be ok. at least you still have those two friends and though they're not there with you it's still more than some ppl have. I've had times where I've literally had no friends in my life due to moving and that the internet wasn't readily available...)

• Like 1