Always bragging about his salary etc..

Yeahsussu

Hello all!

I have a friend who is constantly bragging about things. Recently he got a new job and now he´s always bragging about his salary and how much he makes. Sometimes it might not be bragging but just telling me information about how much money he saves with his new salary and that he can buy this and that now. I´m not putting much energy into those conversations, just saying "yeah that´s nice" etc, cause I don´t really care what he makes!

I´m truly happy for his new job, but i just can´t deal with the constant bragging. It´s even worse now with his new job, he thinks he´s superior to everyone else. He is a smart dude and he know a lot, but it´s like his opinions are the right opinions, and if someone thinks anything else you´re stupid.

He really think´s he´s better than most people. Recently he told me about these two chicks who wanted to have sex with him, but he didn´t feel like it and felt like they were intruding on his life (he knows these chicks from before). "My time is precious and I decide what to do with it. I can´t help it that they find me attractive and that I turn them on", he said.

I mean, seriously! It´s no point trying to debate with him cause he always finds a sneaky way to have the last word. I just try to ignore it those times he gets like this, but sometimes it would be nice to just put him on the spot! Haha.

I´ve told him once that I don´t like people bragging, and he said that in some peoples minds it´s not bragging or "showing off", it´s just a way of talking about what´s going on in their lives. I don´t know if he was talking about himself there, but anyway...

I would like to tell him that I don´t like the way he brags about things and how it seems like he thinks he´s better than everyone else, but in a nice way. Any ideas? How do you deal with cocky people?

Who is he really trying to impress? It sounds like he craves constant admiration by being vain and arrogant. Perhaps he had a lousy past and now he is 'above' all of the lowly people from his past.

Been there, done that.

Just my suggestion....organise a party or get together but don't invite him. If/when he asks why he wasn't invited just tell him he probably would have nothing in common with any of your guests. It may kick him into line. If not, he is incurable.

I best deal with cocky people by keeping them at arm's length. I'll be nice to them, but that's about all I'll do.

I deal with people like that by not talking to them if I don't have to. If he never used to be this way, it's possible that he's just going through a braggart phase. Perhaps he feels insecure about his life so he brags about his money so that nobody will think his life sucks.

If I were you I would spend less time with him and just wait until he snaps out of it. Depending on how close you are to him, you could try mocking him in a humerous manner. Last time I bragged to a friend, he told me "oh yes you are very important now SpiralOut!" and that shut me right up. Some people don't take that very well, though, so use your own discretion.

Afishwithabike

I don't hang around people like that. Life is too short to waste time on someone who has to brag about themselves to make themselves feel good. Besides you have to cut in half about what they say because you know a lot of is pure bs.

Despite all the bravado, I bet he's actually quite insecure. People who are truly secure don't feel the need to impress others. In my work, I've come across several people who dress simply and drive economy cars yet have great personal wealth (i.e. multimillions of dollars). You'd never guess just by looking at them and the way they act they have amassed so much money.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Thanks guys for your input!

I don´t talk to him that much anymore, but I bump in to him now and then. When I do, i try to keep him at an arm´s lenght. When he starts bragging I just change the subject very quickly. I wish I could make him understand how he´s acting, but he can´t see it himself. He is so in love with himself!

He also always have to analyze things. I showed him some pictures on my phone of some new furniture that i bought to my apartment, of course he needs to analyze it. "Yeah that colour is nice, I wouldn´t have picked that shape of it though and I would probably place it somewhere else." etc... He always needs to have the last word, if you confront him about something, he will find a way to give back to you.

He seriously gets on my nerves so bad! I mean, normal people don´t behave like him. He rarely travels, when I ask him what his plans are for the weekends he always says that he will just chill and do nothing (=he doesn´t have any friends??).

A few days ago he came online on MSN and the first thing he wrote was "Got paid my new salary today, feels so nice that I can save over xxx every month!". Like, seriously?! Do i look like i care? I don´t think i replied to that, other than just "nice".

Sorry I can go on and on about him, but I won´t bore you out :)