bad gifts!

esmeralda

I KNOW it's the thought that counts, BUT it still irritates me when I go out of my way to get others gifts related to their likes and interests, and they give me a generic gift, or something that I'll barely use, and barely like! How do I handle this??? My friend gave me a christmas decoration, it's actually pretty plain, and it's really not to my taste-I don't like those particular colors (which she'd know if she paid attention!). Plus, I don't even have my own house, I live at home, my family has plenty of decorations. I just wish people would ASK, give me a few choices of gifts and let me rank them, as to what I'd like if they're unsure of what to get me. It's just really disappointing when I go out of my way to give things that can be enjoyed all year round, or that are treats.

I just wish that people wouldn't feel obligated to get gifts, and would bother to find out what someone else wanted or needed instead of just giving whatever. That's the end of this bitter rant, most of my presents were great. Now I have this decoration in my house that I don't want, and I know next year, and forever after I'll be asked by my friend, so where's the decoration that I gave you. Life's too short to be surrounded by things I don't want!

HokeyReligions

If she does ask just be honest and tell her that you appreciate the effort but it just wasn't "you" so you passed it on to someone who would appreciate it more. You can even tell her that she needn't feel obligated to give you a gift at all, or if she does want to give you something tell her to donate something to a charity - they give receipts that say "A gift was donated in your name" and do not list amounts -- she can give you that in place of a card or gift.

I get several "receipts" each year from my friends and family who have donated to the animal shelters that I support and those are appreciated more than any material item I have ever received.

Sell the ornament in a garage sale -- that's what I do with all the stuff I collect over the years that I don't want! My husband HATES getting cologne. He never wears it and sees it as a thoughtless gift - everyone who knows him knows he hates cologne -- but sometimes they get too busy to think about something specific (or someone gave them cologne! :) ) so he gets some almost every year. Those unopened bottled of cologne sell pretty well in garage sales! :D

red-rose-in-winter

Hi esmeralda,

You mean this friend didn't even ASK you what you wanted for Christmas? Most of the time people will bug the daylights out of you wanting to know what you want, or what you need for a present!

Maybe your friend didn't really have the money to spend this Christmas. I gave out home-made gift baskets this year because of lack of money.

But yeah, that does suck when you get a "generic" gift from someone after you put a lot of thought and effort to find a gift they would really like and be interested in. One year one of my friends gave me a popcorn tin filled with popcorn. I gave her a beautiful ceramic angel (because she collects angels). It kind of hurt a little that I went all over town to find the perfect angel to give her ~ one that I knew that she'd LOVE ~ and she gives me a popcorn tin.

But oh well, I just ate the popcorn and put junk in the tin.... :p

lipglossboost

If your friend isn't thoughtful, why do you stay friends with her? Is it just at Xmas, or all year round?

Sometimes, people give gifts that (for whatever reason,) they truly feel the other person would want, or, they just aren't as creative or good at gift-giving. If it's just a lousy gift, thank her, put it out when she's around, and be gracious. If you must get rid of it, tell her something happened to it, and next year, agree not to do gifts. If she is a good friend the rest of the year, it really doesn't matter what she gets you for Xmas.

If she is, however, this much of a spacecake the rest of the year, (when it comes to your feelings,) maybe it is time to rethink the whole friendship ...