Strange friendship, problems arising..

So I met this girl (I'm a male), when she was a tourist visiting my city. Somehow we kept in touch, emailed/texted/called each other every single day. We even sent each other different items, overall it was a pretty good friendship. We really get along with each other and have a lot of similar interests. Oddly, I've told her things that I haven't told anyone - not even previous girlfriends. She's told me quite a bit about herself as well.

Anyhow, I happened to be in her city on vacation - so we planned out a nice week. Everything was going really great, then the last night something unexpectedly came up and she couldn't come. I was upset by this, but didn't make too big of a deal out of it (but it was clear that I was disappointed).

Long story short, she was afraid that I was mad at her but has been giving me the cold shoulder since. It's pretty unusual that I don't hear from her, I sent her a few texts and an email the next day - nothing.

I'm sitting here trying to get work done and all I have on my mind is this whole thing - it's eating away at me. Clearly, I'm not going to keep on trying to establish contact as that would just be annoying.

Any thoughts here?

Edited by ar1
  • Author
Did she give you a reason for bailing on you? Did it sound like BS? Was this relationship strictly platonic? Did either (or both) of you expect something romantic to develop?

It sounds like you did or said something that sent her a red flag. You can ask her about it, but she may not give you an honest answer. Either way, don't beat yourself up. If you don't feel you did anything wrong, then it's HER problem, not your's.

She told me she had something going on at home that she needed to attend to, you know it was vague so my initial instinct told me it was. However, that was quickly dispelled because she accidentally sent me something meant for someone else talking about it - so no BS. It is strictly platonic, I'll be honest though I am attracted to her (I'm almost certain there was some mutual attraction there) though there is no realistic expectation of a romantic relationship to happen. The whole distance thing is just too much, we both also have very demanding jobs.

You know I feel like I may been a wee-bit clingy, but nothing over the top.

Edited by ar1