A Bragging Friend?

Does anyone have, to put it simply, a friend who always brags? My best friend, to whom I have been friends with since the age of 5 (we are both 21), is what I would call a bragger by nature. Ever since a young age he would always brag about his family having bigger and better things, or getting better marks in schools tests and whatnot. Now, to describe both of us, we're kind of introverted, yet he's very smart, runs his own business and therefore meets a lot of faces but doesn't seem to hang out with a lot people as friends or people his own age. Guess he has always had this thing with thinking he is better than everyone else.

Now in the past year or so I have begun coming out of my shell a little more socially and figuring out who I am as a person. If we met today, we would simply, not be friends. We don't have much in common except a sense of humor between the two of us that we have always had and whenever we speak, it's mainly about what we have been doing in our lives and rarely do we hang out in person. If we do, it's either a catch up lunch or movies e.t.c. So I guess you could say he is more like "a brother".

Last year we took a trip to the U.S for a few weeks, which was our first overseas holiday. After the holiday we said to one another that we would plan another trip for January next year. I said to him in June this year, what are your intentions for committing to another holiday with me? He said, that yes, he would like to do another trip overseas. A month later, he tells me out of the blue that he has booked another trip with another friend of his. I mean, naturally I was very annoyed and he did not take my annoyance seriously! I asked whether or not I could come along but always used the excuse that it is more expensive to travel in threes (which I understand is) but didn't even bother to work out whether or not we could bring along a fourth person.

I decided to book a holiday by myself (in an overseas tour group where you tag along with a bunch of people) which I think will be good for my confidence and social esteem, to the same place a month before his trip. I think it has ended up well, because like I said earlier, we seem to be two very different people and I feel that on our holiday I felt slightly restricted when we both wanted to do different things.

The major point I want to raise here, is that after telling me about his holiday and then me telling him about mine, he has, as usual, bragged about how much better his is at every point I make. For instance, when I mentioned that I would be staying in a four star hotel in New York, he immediately jumped on that to point out he was staying in a five star one. Deep down I feel that he obviously has "issues" with his self righteous image that he is above others but as I am growing more as a person I feel that he isn't really a best friend and that over all these years being introverted I've just accepted him because I've had hardly any other friends.

So quite simply, how does one deal with such a boastful friend? I guess this recent bragging about his holiday has annoyed me, not only because he believes everything about his trip is inferior in everyway to mine but the fact that he cannot tell when I am seriously P*off about something (in relation to him ditching me on his holiday).

This guy really isn't a friend. No real friend would brag constantly about their own holidays, busines, successes for anything. You could try talking to him about it, and if it persists, you can simply cut him out if it annoys you.

Forever Learning
This guy really isn't a friend. No real friend would brag constantly about their own holidays, busines, successes for anything. You could try talking to him about it, and if it persists, you can simply cut him out if it annoys you.

Yes, people who brag too much tend to be insecure. And there's not too much you can do about that other than limit your exposure to him so as to reduce annoyance from it.