Right or Wrong?

BklynGuy

I met my ex best friend when we were 13 yo. He always loved to tell my secrets. Good friendship for most years. He got me into a job with him and his brother(supervisor). The super was an ex-military hardass type, very overbearing at times. I couldn't stand it but was like an extension of the family. I was @ the job for over a year and got into a BAD situation w/a co-worker. Found out later I could've gone to prison, but boss made me pay literally. OK - HUGE mistake and I vowed to NEVER get into trouble on this job again. Meanwhile, when I got into trouble my friend turned his back on me and proceeded to let EVERYONE we knew know what I had done. I mean MAJOR rambling, talking $%&* to everyone, and some of our mutual friends turned their backs on me also. I asked him about it and he never owned up to it - so I dropped the issue. I never thought he'd do something like that but he became my friend again 3 months later. I never really felt the same at the job and began to hang with other co-workers more than my old friends @ the job. A new girl is hired and he dates her. She confided in me and I would tell him what she would tell me. She also told me he was jealous of our friendship and was talking #$%* about me again. I flipped and began talking to her about all the things he'd done to me. I was badmouthing him! Then, I suspect she's using me to make him jealous and told him about my suspicions, but I was steaming mad when I told him. He tells me to ask her questions and I do. Then on Monday, she's really mad at me, just seemed different. She starts laying the stories on thick and I keep yapping! He asks me several times not to be her friend, but I vowed I wouldn't ever let this guy decide who I would and would not be friends with again - and subsequntly said NO! I will be her friend because that was my decision. Little did I know that she was telling him and the super EVERYTHING that I said. She even invited me to her home as bait - but I didn't bite. Then she begings to drop hints that she's screwing me over. The super and my friend start dropping hints also. I couldn't believe they led me into a trap. I would've given my life for this guy. Then, the @#$* really hit the fan and the super starts saying "(GF's name) took her clothes off in front of me." This was in front of the entire office. The super and my "friend" start laughing - my blood starts to boil and I know I'm in for it! So I take 2 wks off and hope things will cool down by the time I return. Nope - they got worse. I pickup my final check and leave w/out giving notice. If I had told anyone, the news would've gotten back to super and he would've made things much worse for those last 2 weeks. I basically quit the job, and dropped my friend cuz I could see the trouble he was trying to lead me into. he'd also told me our friendship was over. I haven't spoken to him since. Who was right?

Wow. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who was behaving well in this story. Let's summarize:

YOU: Commit an (unspecified) crime at work.

YOUR BOSS: Actionable sexual harassment, coarseness.

YOUR EX-BEST FRIEND: Gossiping, tale bearing, disloyalty. Coarseness.

THE NEW GIRL: Gossiping, tale bearing.

And that's just the quick ones. Nobody was right, except maybe you in removing yourself from this situation. I'm sorry a friend let you down - that hurts - although you also let yourself down with your theft or dealing or whatever it was - and you still forgave yourself, right?

Next time, learn to zip the lip and don't let things stick to your fingers at work.