Jealousy or just being annoyed?

Username37

Hello, long time LS user and first time poster in this forum.

Anyways I'm a freshman in college and doing alright. My roommate is someone that I've known since we were in elementary school. My roommate has always been that person that WANTS attention all the time. He would act super different towards me, very calm and someone I can talk to about personal stuff, but if we were in a group of friends, he would be obnoxious, talking over everyone, and if the attention was on someone else, he would try to steal it back (by singing super loud or beat boxing). I always get annoyed when he's around, but when he goes to sleep (always sleeps earlier then everyone), I feel better and I feel like I can be more like myself when he's gone. It feels like you have to one up him all the time. He also wears outfits that get him attention all the time. And I also hate how he tries to act black when he's around people sometimes. Cursing and talking like he's one of them (he's white as hell haha). The thing that gets me the most is, if I do something wrong on accident, he would be racist and make fun of my country and stuff. Also he wouldn't allow me to talk thus making me look dumb. I feel like socking him in the face, but I always control myself.

I don't know if this is jealousy or me just being annoyed by him. I like who I am and I hate putting on a mask in order to get attention or respect. Should I talk to him about this?

• Author
I don't know why you would think this is jealousy. Do you really want to be like him? Do you think he's getting respect? Chances are, everyone else probably feels the same way towards him as you do. Talk to them about it & you'll see.

Since he craves attention & approval so much, the best thing you can do when he acts up is to ignore him. Talking to him won't do any good. He needs to realize it on his own.

I don't want to be like him at all, or at least I don't think so. And he gets respect. A lot of people find him funny, but I'm not sure if it's just laughing out of kindness or some ****.

I sometimes ignore him, and it kinda works. As for talking to him, I try to bring it up in conversations very discreetly and he even admits that he's an attention whore. I think he's proud of that too. He claims he's working on it, but I see no change whatsoever.

You're just annoyed by him. That's not jealousy. I know some people like that-I just keep them at arms length or just cut them out.