Toxic friends

soozie86

How do you know when a friend in your life is bad for you?? I have been friends with a certain friend for years but I am slowly starting to realise maybe she is not really that nice.

When I am around her she constantly criticises my point of view about anything, she always has to be right about everything we talk about and she constantly shows off by talking about herself and stuff what has happened to her.

Also, she makes negative comments about my bf and how she would not fancy him.

I feel our lives are a running competition which she has to win all the time. It is slowly dragging me down and I am not sure what to do.

I don't want to give up a friendship I've had for 10 years but on the other hand I am sick of feeling annoyed at how she goes on.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? and what is the best thing to do?

[FONT=Calibri][sIZE=3] [/sIZE][/FONT]

Have you told her any of this? It might not have occurred to her that the way you two interact is getting on your nerves. You said it quite clearly when you said,

I feel our lives are a running competition which she has to win all the time. It is slowly dragging me down and I am not sure what to do.

I don't want to give up a friendship I've had for 10 years but on the other hand I am sick of feeling annoyed at how she goes on.

If you can tell her that, see how that goes? It might not sink in immediately, but it may well change the way she treats you in the future. So instead of ending the friendship, change it by telling her how you feel about it.

Like what betterdeal said, speak with her on it. If she fails to understand how you feel and still does this to you, you're better off. :( Friends shouldn't condemn eachother. They're supposed to be there for one another when they need eachother. I've had to cut some 'friends' lose before myself that were toxic, and it worked out better for me in the long run. But speak with her first, and see how that goes before you make up your mind on what you wish to do. Good luck.

We can't make people treat us the way we want them to, we can only decide whether we're willing to put up with it. Start shutting her out & see what she does.