What do you think of internet friendships?

The Outlaw

Real friendships facilitated by modern communication? Like

Virtual friendships? Not so much.

Real friendships, IMO, require pressing of flesh, looking into eyes, shaking of hands, interacting in close proximity. That said, I have real friends all over the world and the internet has been a great tool to keep in touch with them, along with inexpensive international phone service and relatively cheap air fares.

Friendship is a blessing. Whether you have friends from your school, college neighbor or even internet, you must remain loyal to them. But picking friends over the net; you have to be choosy because it's your decision that matters in the later time.

I have one online friendship that has been going on for 3 years. But I never intended it to be online and have asked him repeatedly to meet me. He's busy and reclusive so the meet up never happened.

I eventually got drained and decided to focus my energy on my real world friends. If he wants to meet up, that's great. But I'm tired of IM, texting, Facebook, etc.

I feel like I sort of know him based on so much communication, but I can't call him a real friend unless I meet him. We haven't been in touch for several months now and I don't miss him. If he was a real friend, I think I would.

I don't see a problem with them if you ask me a friend is a friend

Yeah.. I agree..

I have a few internet friendships..male and female.

They are different in the fact that there isn't any face to face but certainly they are there.

It isn't any different than say having an old friend who has moved away 20 years ago and you guys are still friends over the phone and email/FB

Edited by Art_Critic

I'm all for good friendships.

I play Scrabble online, like a junkie. I have met two of my fellow players irl; one from all the way across the country. It was very cool! I consider them actual friends, and I believe that our relationships will evolve to be more dimensional over time.

There are a couple of people I've gotten to know right here on LS whom I would be happy to meet irl, if circumstances ever favor it.

Now if you are speaking about internet relationships while being in a committed relationship then that isn't friendship.. but cheating

Yes, what Art said.

I have four friendships that began with only Internet contact. Two from LS.

I have met all four people in person and we continue to email or Skype daily. I consider three of them very close friends. Since my experiences have been positive, I think highly of internet friendships. :)

Love Shack has been good to me as far as my feelings about "internet friends". I had previously frequented some really intellectual debate forums and I wouldn't give a toss for anyone who called me a friend at one time or another there--no loyalty and all gone. But I made a friend here right away and she has been rock solid and loyal ever since for the year plus I've been here. And now I'm met my honey, F L.

I consider any type of friendship to be real. I don't discriminate :D I've met quite a few people online that have actually turned out to be some of the best friends i've had!

Overall, I don't see any harm in them as long as they don't turn into what Art described.

This is a good example of an awesome friendship formed online. Oh, how I miss you Jan!! :love:

This is a good example of an awesome friendship formed online. Oh, how I miss you Jan!! :love:

Have emailed you :D

/apologies for threadjack

i think there's nothing wrong with internet friendship as long as you take extra care of trusting someone you haven't met in person...you can have you limitations in giving details about yourself...

Citizen Erased

The only internet friendships I have made are people from LS. Two of which I have met, one I married. Another we just got back in contact :love: and the fourth one unfortunately passed away. All of them have been there for me at one time or another, and in different ways.

The loyalty I've had with one, the relationship I formed with another, the friendship with the third and the very intense loss of the fourth have corrected any notion I may have had of these friendships not being as real as my IRL friends. Two of them know me better than people I've been friends with since school.

I play alot of games online and have met 2 of my gamer friends in person and they totally rock! One of them is coming down for Mardi Gras with her husband, can't wait. I love internet friends and I really value those bonds I have made with them.