He's just a friend - I feel horrible.

lofi_tokyo

So I'm going through a major break up right now. Its got me in therapy, the ex needs therapy, its great times. It wasn't a bad breakup in that nothing horrible happened between us - I just realized that I suffer from serious anxiety, and he's very very depressed. Our relationship wasn't going to work in the longterm.

Still though, I miss the guy like crazy.

On to the problem of this thread: This guy I know (friend) I think has fallen for me. Shot of saying "you're just a friend" which I now e-mailed him to make sure its clear, I've done everything that I possibly can to indicate that I'm not interested romantically.

He's a good guy though, and he doesn't deserve this stuff. Puke. I feel so bad - on top of feeling bad about this break up - because HE feels rejected.

But I mean - if a girl is clearly depressed and broken hearted over an EX... why would you ever think she's ready to date?

betterdeal

You're not well, you've told him you're not interested, and that's all you can do. Don't apologise for how you feel - that's like apologising for being real.

He made an offer; you declined. Don't worry about him. He can worry about himself.

I had this situation right after my last breakup. I realized a guy my ex and I had started hanging out with was basically waiting his turn. He never came out and said it, but he came over to "comfort" me after the breakup and ended up trying to give me a back rub and sitting much closer to me than he ever had when my ex was around. He started calling almost every day. I made it very clear that I was heartbroken over my ex and still very much in love, and I never had to tell him I just wanted to be friends. He got the picture. Shortly thereafter, he started dating someone and never called me to hang out again, which was sad as I really did value his friendship. Ah well.