Age difference?

Hi...I'm new here and hope to get some advice. I'm in my mid-30s and I have a friend in his mid-20s. We work in the same building and I see him a few times during the week. We talk and texted back and forth a few times. I'm really interested in him and I've told him that I was. After he thought about it for a while, he told me he just wants to be friends because: 1. He doesn't like to mix business and pleasure. 2. The age difference bothers him. He got out of a serious relationship about 3 yrs. ago and goes on dates every now and then. How can I let him know that the age difference really doesn't bother me (which I told him) and I really am interested in him?

You already expressed your interest and he turned you down. There's nothing left to do. He knows that the age difference doesn't bother you, but it bothers him. He also mentioned the work/pleasure issue so there's more than one reason he doesn't want to date you.

The work/pleasure thing is just letting you down gently - for whatever reason he doesn't want to date you. Whether the age difference bothers you is irrelevant; it bothers him and he's turned you down, so just let it go.

• Author

Thanks you two. The nice thing about it is that he told me today he's not ready for a girlfriend and not in a hurry to have one.

• 3 weeks later...
jonpeter001

• S/he has more in common with your parents than with you.
  • S/he has voted before and you can’t even drive yet.
  • You live at home; s/he owns or rents her own home.
  • You babysit; s/he has babies (or kids).
  • You still see your ex at school; s/he still sees her/his ex when the kids get exchanged.
  • You get an allowance; s/he draws a salary.
  • S/he’s building a career, you’re looking for an after school job.
  • You daydream about marriage; s/he’s been there, done that and filed for divorce.
  • Your social life still revolves around weekends, holidays and school breaks; s/he only gets 3 weeks paid vacation time a year.

DreamerGirl27

I love younger guys, but I hate younger guys mentality about girls. I've been ready for a serious relationship since I was 16. I would've gotten married at 18. No guy at 18 is ready for marriage.