What would you name....

innocent

What would you name your baby girl and baby boy if you had two kids?

I like Jolie, for a girl, it means pretty in french

And Addrian for a boy....

i think it's good to stick to names that are easy to spell/pronounce and have short-forms. aside from that, you gotta look at the baby before naming it!

-yes

• Author

I hate that everyone is named Ashley or Emily or Rachel, so I don't want to name my kid a common name

i think you need a balance - not as common as John, but not so rare that ppl say HUH? when the kid introduces itself.

-yes

• Author

Yeah, that is what I was trying to say! not something so crazy that you don't even know that it is a person's name but on that is not so common that everyone else has the same name,

my name is very common and it drove me nuts how my teachers in school would always just say my first name and 2 or 3 other girls in my class would have the same name and we would always have to ask at least once or twice a day in almost all of my classes who they meant....ahhh that drove me crazy!

So I like names that are a little different but not completely crazy Like Jolie Nicole or Addrian Nathaniel That is a pretty name. :D

Julian or Juliana, both are family names and sound quite lovely pronounced in Spanish ....

Other name that my husband seems to really like is Modesto, which is my dad's name. Of course, DH's idea is to name a son of ours "Modesto Robert" (after both our dads) and call the child Mo-Bob.

it sounds suspiciously redneck to me!

HokeyReligions

Gidget Leigh and Maxwell Houdini

Laugh if you want - those were my kids. We practiced them by standing at the front door and yelling them down the street - they sounded good and different and we figured our kids would hear them clearly! Plus they are combinations of family names. They went by Gidget & Max and both said they liked that their names were different, although they both went to school with others named Gidget and Leigh and Max or Maxwell. They never found another Houdini tho!

The babies I lost were Sylvia Felicity and Nicolas Alexander. Sylvia is my mothers name.

Redneck name: My father was James Robert. In the mid-west he was called Jim or James Robert. After I moved to Texas I was told he would have been called Jim-Bob out here! Eeek!

Now, my dogs names are: Lucy Lucy Lou (said like Scooby Dooby Doo); Tiger Do (Dolittle); Dutchess Wander Charming; Katy Bear; and Willy Boy. These are my kids now. :D

Willy Boy ... this is my nephew in Oklahoma, who is actually Willy Jr., but his parents call him Willy-Boy to distinguish him from Willy-Daddy!

must smile at the name Gidget Leigh ... I have this mental image of Vivian Leigh in a nun's habit (wasn't Sally Fields the character of a flying nun, as well as Gidget? or am I just confused?)

my husband says "Mo-Bob" is a good hollering name for a kid! "You! Mo-Bob! Settle down!" Of course his answer to "what if it's a girl?" is "we'll call her Mo-Bobba." ugh!

HokeyReligions

!!! Mo-Bobba !!! :D

Yes Sally Field was Gidget & Sister Bertrille (the Flying Nun & don't ask me why I remember the characters name - I thought it was a silly show)

I know in the Gidget movies it was Girl + Midget = Gidget. My daughter had beautiful long legs tho and by now she would have been almost 19 and a total heartbreaker. Didn't look anything like me - thankfully!

There are several names I like for a girl:

Olivia

Claire

Jordyn

Whitney

Ava

Haylee

Cassie

There's not a whole lot of boys names I like (cause I want a girl first!), but here's the ones I kind of like:

Jordan

Bailey

Taylor

Hmmm....I guess that's all I can think of!

Well, my boyfriend and I have talked about that and have our first set of kids planned out.

Boy-- Richard John (for short, RJ) Richard is his grandfather's name and John is my Dad's name.

Girl-- Josephine Mae -Josephine was my grandmother and Mae is his grandmother.

It's nice to carry on familiy names, but you gotta think about the kid. I mean, you don't want them to get made fun of because they have a old granny name. That's the only reason I am not naming my kids after grandmothers and such. Except - my great-grandmother's name is Cassie. That's the only family name I might actually give to my child. I like unique names that aren't common.

Well, if my kid doesn't like it, they can go legally change their name then. My grandma was special to me and my boyfriend's grandmother is special to him so we want to carry on their names. I happen to think Josephine Mae is a beautiful name. Plus, Josephine can always be shortened to Josie. Hey, we aren't talking old granny names like Mildred and Gertrude anyway...

HokeyReligions

HEY! I have Mildred's and Gertrude's in my family & I love those names. :) I also have Theodosia, Eugenia, Wilhelmina, Waldo, Quintilla, Malachi, Mabel, Theodric, Waldo, Hattie, and Cornelius in my family. If I could have a bunch of kids I would use all of those names. :D :D :D

We also have a smattering of John's, Jim's, Beth's, Nancy's, Ellen's, Ann's, Shirley's, Dan's, Patrick's, Matt's, Paul's, Mark's, Ted's, Olivia's, Linda's, and Elanor's. And (much to my redneck chagrin) a Joseph Leroy!

John is the most common name on my side of the family: I've a brother Johnny, a nephew John, a cousin Juan and his son Juanito, then another cousin Juanito .... phew!

I don't mind borrowing family names, though, because to me there's a sense of continuity. My great-grandma was Modesta; her son, Modesto, and his son (my daddy) Modesto. I would have also been Modesta had he won the battle of "what to name the baby," but as it is, my name (Jo Anne) sounds like a double-southern redneck name, but it's actually a combination of my mother's grandmothers, Josefa and Mariangel. And it means a lot to me because of the continuity thing ...

I guess I lean more toward classic names; it dries me nuts to hear that someone has given their child a lovely name, only to see it spelled weird. But that's the journalist in me -- always seeking proper spelling!

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by quankanne

it dries me nuts

Okay, this brought up an instant mental image of the Lucky Charms leprechaun holding his nuts with one hand and waving a paper at them with his other hand to dry them!

:laugh:

Okay, this brought up an instant mental image of the Lucky Charms leprechaun holding his nuts with one hand and waving a paper at them with his other hand to dry them!

BWAHAHAHAAHA (cough, sputter) BWAHAHAHAHAH

:lmao:

Damn good thing I just finished my croissant or I'd be trying to do a self-Heimlich on the chair, you loon!

it dries me nuts to hear that someone has given their child a lovely name, only to see it spelled weird. But that's the journalist in me -- always seeking proper spelling!

Inevitably, when complaining about spelling, one will spell something wrong LOL. Hoist on one's own petard - how tragic!

(Merry snickers guiltily, knowing it's only a matter of time before she'll suffer the same fate)

HokeyReligions

Magically Delicious! :bunny:

I said I was in a funky mood today! Maybe its the sunspots. :rolleyes:

When i was due to have my daughter, my husband was partial to naming her Heather if it was a girl.... and Ozzy if it was a boy.... (after the great Ozzy Osbourne ofcourse) so none the less i kept my fingers crossed for a girl... and got her.... however she did not look like a Heather but more like a Corrina... and thats what we named her..... my hubs choice of course and she suits it... I cant pick her being named anything else..... My son was supposed to be either Damon, Keenan Jessie or Ozzy..... We knew I was having a boy... so when he was born we named him Caleb.... yes from the bible (so i told my hub) as well as from the soap As the World Turns..... a characters name on their was Caleb (pretty good looking guy) now their nick names are Meena and Boo.... lol so you see how things can change?!!!!!!

I've heard people tell me that, too -- that they've got a baby name chosen, but when the child was born, the name didn't "fit" so they chose another.

:) Caleb ... another family name, albeit a new one.

Merry! you make me giggle, catching the type after the fact. Consider your red ink pen swiped for the hour ... :D