Do people pick up on "typing body language"??

LazySundayAfternoon

LazySundayAfternoon

Hey, well.. long story short. I reunited with some friends I haven't seen in 15+ years.

an old buddy comes and yells Wasssssssszzzzzupppp broooEEEwwwo yeeeeewhoooo!! (He used to be whakky like that, but I guess still is lol) And instead of just going with it, and respoding back something like "ha ha.. how's it going man good to see you!" Which I should've done... I responded more like "it's going good. nice seeing you.."

Just a teeeenny subtle difference there. Had I simply put an excalmation mark the whole meaning would be different. I guess I wasn't really feelin an excalmation, I just felt.. two dots..

My true feelings about seeing him were two dots.. But, I feel like I become the kind of person I hate and hoped to never be.

In a word: yes.

People can pick up on emotion via the written word. Words are powerful! Punctuation is important.

Example:

Hey, man.

Hey, man!

HEY MAN!!!

Hey, man?

I would spell out the differences in each, but I think you can figure it out that they each sound a little different in your head, and have slightly different connotations.

But really, if you were only feeling the '...' toward him then who really cares? Chances are he's not going to ever be your BFF, so as long as you can be cordial then you're probably okay.

melodymatters

How does one "Type" body language ? This is an either/or proposition. In print one uses exclamatory punctuation, in person it's body language and tone of voice. Dots....?

Perhaps I'm simply overtired.......

• Author
LazySundayAfternoon

melody you just did it..

when you wrote 'perhaps I'm simply overtired......' you have the dots ;)

Well I guess context comes into play too. I haven't seen this person in almost 20 years and we were a bit 'thuggish' if you could say. So.. basically, my choice of wording I felt was condescending, like I'm somehow 'correcting' him by being so lukewarm in my response.

I hated when people did that to me. Like if I was cussing or talking like a drunken criminal they would sort of *sigh*, but then when I changed how I talk to sound more proper, then they answer more affirmatively like, cool!! you too!!

I just feel I'm not one to judge.. I'm doing good for myself now, but don't know how to react with my old pals still struggling, and I feel if I respond too favorably they will start pestering to come out again... Back to 'the life

I know i know.. so why did I add them. They're childhood friends. I couldn't not add them... oh well.. my problem I'll deal with it

:)

• Author
LazySundayAfternoon

Oh and, the dots to me represent when a person is talking, and they finish their sentence but you are still waiting cause you think they're going to say more, but they don't...

Edited by LazySundayAfternoon
loverofloveandstuff

I just feel I'm not one to judge.. I'm doing good for myself now, but don't know how to react with my old pals still struggling, and I feel if I respond too favorably they will start pestering to come out again... Back to 'the life

Umm.. you do know texting messages like the one he did does not mean he is 'struggling.'