stuck with a crazy friend

I've been friends with this girl for about two years. When I first met her I thought she was nice enough, but then I noticed that she was a particularly clingy person. Still, because I'm pretty accepting and friendly I became her friend and we've shared some great experiences and conversation. For the past few monthes however, she's been acting completely insane and has managed to completely screw up various aspects of my life. She's been telling my secrets to tons of people, latching on to and scaring off my other friends, and has even starting showing up at places I'm at with other friends whom she doesn't even know. Anyway, there are many many examples of this complete insanity that I won't even begin to share, but she's crazy and I don't like her at all anymore and I don't want to be her friend. I've been trying to ditch her for a while now by not being very friendly and avoiding her but the harder I try, the clingier she gets. I have no idea what to do. I don't want to be mean even though that's what I feel like doing, but i really don't want to be her friend anymore. Help!

jessicakicksbut

I think avoiding her will not work. I have dealt with individuals who were too "clingy" in the past, as well as a bit crazy, and the avoidance approach did not work. I think the best thing to do is tell her in as nice of a manner as you possible that you no longer can be friends with her. Be honest, but not too cruel. Let her know that she has been hurting you, and that friendship is about building people up, not tearing them down. If telling her to her face will not work, try a phone call or an e-mail as well. Like I said, I had a crazy friend like this once as well. I told her as nice as I could in person that our friendship was not working out, and she would not take no for an answer. She still called me, left me voice messages, e-mailed me, etc. So, I broke down and wrote her a long e-mail explaning to her in as many ways as possible that I am no longer going to be her friend. Afterwards, all ties were severed.