What do you think of Internet Friendships?

Cornholio12

I've got a few that I've been chatting with for awhile, but do you think that you could really be friends with people you've never met before?

All depends on the circumstances. I've been in internet communities in which we were literally there for each other during the hard times, people sometimes flying hundreds of miles to attend a funeral.

I think that you can make very good friends (and enemies) on the Internet. I know I have. There is one woman on LS with whom I have shared good times and bad times for almost two years on a daily basis. If the two people click, if the chemistry is right, then this type of friendship can be as rewarding, if not more rewarding, than a real life friendship. I hope to meet her one day soon.

As for Internet dating, thumbs down. For the most part, it's a load of baloney.

I think you can. On Facebook, I can say that I'm friends that frequent the same group discussion as I do.

I have to say, though, that it is a bit awkward meeting with people that you know of most of the time as letters on a page and a pic. More often than not, they're not as extrovert as they are online.

Citizen Erased

I really enjoy hearing from the ones I have made on LS and I enjoy the addition to my life that wouldn't be there normally. Two of them in particular, they make me laugh, they're there if I need to talk about anything and that we don't hang out, have a few drinks etc doesn't matter much. I have other people for that. :)

it's possible ... anything's possible.

made a friend through a fan club several years back, and I love this kid to death, she's the same age as one of my nieces, and she's become part of my extended family. I don't know if I'll ever meet her because she lives in the UK, but we've had some deep heart-to-hearts over the years.

I think the neatest part about this is that the internet made it possible – it's not just a place to locate information, but a place to foster strong friendships.

• Author

But to be able to have any type of chat with someone you've never met before, and the two of you just click, it's just amazing to me. Really awesome!

SincereOnlineGuy

I fully endorse giving yourself to various online friendships, and while they are fulfilling and all, it still holds true that most of what you get out of them results directly from how much you give to them.

If, for example, you find yourself quite willing to show vulnerability when interacting with a faraway person online, when to do same in real life, face-to-face with others, is a challenge, then you are likely to gain a great deal from that experience.

I guess it is poetic justice that those who just don't have the personal depth to offer very much of themselves to others, will be the ones for whom online friendship (or romance) does very little.

Online friendships can be so great for some people, because the anonymity and relative safety they know at first tends to help them to slowly make their way to a place of significant comfort with others.

I think online friendships can be healthy but only if those online friendships are not the only friendships one has in life. In other words, if the only friends you have are people you have meet online then you could be headed for trouble. Also, one does need to be careful, as you really never know who your chatting with on the other end of a keyboard. Trust me on this last part, I have learned.

Mea:)

Starring_Emma

I have a lot of friends that I met on the internet but never met in person. My favorite internet friend is Sarah from Denver, CO I watched some of her videos on YouTube and I liked them so I sent her a MySpace invitation. Another friend I met by watching her videos is Jacqueline Mannering from London England. Most of the friends that I meet online are from the forums and message boards that I post on. I'd really like to meet them all some day.

I've got a few that I've been chatting with for awhile, but do you think that you could really be friends with people you've never met before?

If you haven't eating at their house or the reverse, IMO, they're not friends :)

• Author
If you haven't eating at their house or the reverse, IMO, they're not friends :)

Very valid point, indeed. But answer this, would you be willing to meet an 'Internet friend' if they were teasing a meeting or suggesting such? I'm a member of another website, girlsaskguys.com and it's become like another myspace. And a new feature has been utilized which allows members to hold one on one chats with another one. This is how this all started. It is just so seemingly easy to get attached to someone you don't know, but true, be wary. I do hope I didn't get too far off track with that description.

I've offered to meet two LS ladies who have communicated with me privately and have been 'eluded' on both occasions. Markedly, they seem to disappear (from LS) during or after such instances. No flirting or sexual innuendos in either case, rather having fun and getting to know a new friend. Guess I'm a buzzkill :D

Like I often post, move relationships (be they friendship or love potentials) into the real world as quickly as possible. No ambiguity. :)

I met a great female friend on the net 5 yrs ago. Her and I chatted for hours over some issues we both had.

Then we talked on the tel.

Then 4 months into one another from only the net and tel, we decided to take our summer holiday at the same time and that I would drive down (8hr drive) to spend time with her and her BF and her friends.

I had the TIME OF MY LIFE in a new city, meeting new people. I stayed with her for a week

It's out of character for me, but it felt right and she was the coolest women I ever met!

Then a year later, her and her BF came to my city for 10 days and we rented a cottage on a lake and had a BLAST!

Some of the greatest people you can meet are on line :-)

But answer this, would you be willing to meet an 'Internet friend' if they were teasing a meeting or suggesting such?

Forgot this....Yeah, sure. One of the ladies 'teased' a meeting, then backed out. I've got internet friends all over the world whom I've met, starting over a decade ago. I'll be meeting some in Singapore in a few weeks. Most of our Aussie and Kiwi friends started as internet 'friends'. Dinner at their or our homes, remember? ;)

• Author
Forgot this....Yeah, sure. One of the ladies 'teased' a meeting, then backed out. I've got internet friends all over the world whom I've met, starting over a decade ago. I'll be meeting some in Singapore in a few weeks. Most of our Aussie and Kiwi friends started as internet 'friends'. Dinner at their or our homes, remember? ;)

Indeed I do. But like you, these chats are just to get to know eachother, nothing out of line has been said/done nor will I hope it will be. Being that this is my first real run with some ppl who think of me as a 'friend' when we've never met face to face, it was just a perplexing question. However, nothing wrong with that :)

BTW, all those 'friendships', bar none, started out of mutual interests. The interest was the focus. For myself, mostly, it's travel and culture.