Question on roomates/home ownership

bluewolf17

So my current roomate and best friend bought a house.

We are moving in November. She is buying the house. I will be renting a room. Is it normal that we split the rent 50/50?

I mean, I can afford it, but part of me wonders if the fact that she owns the home, and I am renting a room, is it fair to assume I split the cost? Afterall, I will have no ownership in it. Another friend of mine did the same thing and only charged her roomate about 33% of the mortgage cost.

I don't want to cause waves by asking her, though it's the adult thing to do. So is it fair for both party's?

Do you have to also pay for half of utilities and what about groceries?

IMO that is pretty steep to be paying half. If you pay half, then she better be prepared to let you have as much say in home matters as she does.

I live with a friend and he charges me about 33%.

I would say it would depend on how much of the house you are living in; the amount of rent is usually based on the percentage of the physical living area being used. If she is getting the master bedroom with private bath and you are getting a smaller room, than no -- you shouldn't be paying half.

Agree with CarrieT, it depends on the size of your room etc. Another factor to take into consideration is average rent in that area. Just because she is paying x amount for her mortgage, it doesn't mean that that is what she would receive in rent for the house.