My Friends 'Losing it'

My friend (since school) recently split from his lover of two years. She kept their home and He moved in with Me on a temporary basis. He was initially full of hope about the situation and told me that He had ended the relationship to 'live a little'. Now, after living with Me and another Housemate, My Friend has become unhappy. He wants to go clubbing all the time (which isn't me) and he seems to be getting anxious about everthing.

In the last two weeks he has sent me several emails from his very Nice and well paid job. These emails speculate about the current activities of my ex partners. So I think he's trying to spread his sorrow around and make me feel like he does.

The other day he returned from the Doctor with various pills for 'anxiety' and I said this was not a good thing to do and now he's pretty much not talking to me.

The thing is I'm unemployed (a year) and single so am not really in the best position to help him kickstart his life. I think His ex- may have dumped him and He won't admit it to me. This would certainly explain things.

I would appreciate any advice. I don't want him to freak out and screw his life up.

thanks.

HokeyReligions

Your friend is not your responsibility. Tell him that you have tried to help him out, but you don't want to talk about, or listen to, gossip about ex-partners (yours or his), or any other friends of yours.

The old saying "misery loves company" is pretty accurate and it's a human trait. But you can tell him you don't want to hear it.

As for him bringing home pills from a doctor, why would you say this is not a good thing to do? Are you a doctor? If he is trying to get medical help that is fine. It's not up to you to slam him for it. If you have legitimate concerns for his health and what was prescribed for him, then approach him that way. He may need this help right now and it's better than drinking or using illegal drugs. Just because you don't agree with him being prescribed medication to help with anxiety, does not make it wrong or "not the right thing to do"

You have found him a place to live and you have listened to him in the past, but it's not up to you to keep him from "screwing up his life".

I think a friend is your responsibility. That is if they are a true friend and would be there for you if you needed them. After all, why do we have friends, lovers, or even aquantinces?

Your friend is going through a hard time, the simple solution is to imagine yourself in his shoes. What would you be thinking and what would you need to get back on your feet emotionally. Now consider the fact that he's an individual and figure out what his needs from a friend are right now and if you are his friend and you are able to help out then do it! Sometimes you need to be a friend to have a friend!