Online Friends

pollswolls

Are 'friends' that you make in a chat room that you may never meet in person (due to living miles apart) - are they considered "TRUE FRIENDS?"

For instance - I met a guy in a chat room - (not a sex chat room) & we have been cooresponding back & forth for about 7 or 8 months.

I like him (only as a friend) - He tells me a lot about his daily & relationship stuff & I do the same. Is it possible to be close with someone you may never meet?....and call them a friend?

I think so. I have many online friends who I have never met, and I talk to them just as much (if not more than) people I know in real life. I also have many work acquaintances who I see perhaps every 2/3 years at conferences, but we still communicate online and I still consider them to be colleagues and friends. I also have family in another country, and though I only see them once every few years we still correspond, and I still consider them to be my family. I met my bf online, and we were madly in love even before we met for the first time. In fact, I think you sometimes know your online friends better than some people irl - because of the constraints of the electronic medium you often talk more and share more than you would irl.