All My Friends Are Getting Married!!

plankton1

While I am super happy for them, 3 sets of friends got engaged this Christmas and I am having the "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" blues. I am not someone who has a hard time being alone, or always has to be in a relationship, but it would help to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing. I know that we all find someone when we're supposed to, blah blah, but that's hard to keep in mind when I have five weddings to go to next year. I don't mean to sound so selfish, and when it comes to being a bridesmaid i'm going to give it my all, but this is just getting ridiculous.

I absolutely know how you feel. I've been to and stood up in sooo many weddings over the past few years. I seriously hope none of my friends ever ask me to stand up again, I'm so sick of the whole wedding/bridesmaid gig. (Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but wow does it ever get expensive with dress, shoes, purse, hair, makeup, nails, bachelorette party and gift, shower gift, wedding gift, etc.) Honestly, I think the sheer number of weddings I've been to has made me not want to have a big wedding anymore. After awhile, they all blend together, and are all the same. And what a huge waste of money. Personally, I'd rather throw that money into a down payment on a condo. But, I digress.

When I start to get sad, I always look at it like this: Although I love most of my friend's husbands dearly, no way would I want to be married to those guys. They may be the right guys for my friends, but would never be for me. My time will come, just as soon as I meet the guy who is right for me. I'm just somewhat lagging behind the pack in that department, maybe because it really isn't a top priority in my life to get married. I've got other things going on! And furthermore, if I do decide to have a wedding, it won't be lost in the midst of all these other weddings! Maybe by then everyone won't be so sick of going to them, as I am!

Just have fun and use all those weddings as a great opportunity to meet people and see your friends! Or alternatively, put on a big smile and try to get through it. :) You gotta do what you gotta do...

• Author

you're right....i was thinking the exact same thing about all these weddings. I mean, they're people I love and I'm glad they're happy, but the weddings themselves do start to seem the same after a while. And sometimes I'm glad I'm single when I get to travel and do what I want without taking someone else into consideration all the time. Sometimes my cat is enough responsibility. ( : Anyways, thanks again. It's good to know that there are other people going through the same thing.

about 2-3 years ago. I agree, it is hard - especially when it's all couples and you. What helped me go through it though was to make friends with their husbands. That way, it wasn't like going out with my friends and their husbands, but going out with a group of friends.

As for the never the bride part, what helped me was to take note of things I did like and didn't like about each wedding to help me plan the perfect wedding for me. I also think that deep down, as much as I THOUGHT I wanted to get married, I wasn't ready. There's still so much more I would like to do and I haven't found a man I could see myself being married forever too.