co-worker betrayal

violeta09

I said something to my coworker and he got me in trouble with the boss. There are only 3 people working and we were a tight triangle. I did alot for this person. I covered for him so he wouldn't get in trouble with the boss. I helped him out when he was sick, etc. I thought I was helping him by telling him what another fill in made. He said something to the boss which in turn jumped all over me and threatened to fire me. He left me no out but to defend myself and deny it. The woman who works with me stood up for me. We were both shocked he betrayed a trust. Today I work with him alone, that will be fun!! I'm not going to bring it up, but I know the silence will provoke discussion. I'm going to tell him that he showed me who he really is and from now on our relationship is strictly professional. The boss always wanted me to spy on him and I had refused. I still won't spy but I won't help him in any way. He has broken the triangle of peace. I don't hold grudges and I know this will pas but no more trust....:sick:

whichwayisup
I thought I was helping him by telling him what another fill in made.

Need to ask, but how is it helping someone by letting that person know someone else's salary? Your boss had every right to be angry about that.

Anyway, when you work with him, just be professional and leave it at that.

Everywhere I have worked, it is against corporate rules to divulge salary amounts, if there is not a published salary table.

When Worker A (makes $10/hr) tells B (makes $8/hr) that Worker C makes $9/hr for doing the same job with the exact same conditions, it ticks off Worker B. Worker B goes to Boss A to complain, and to ask for an explanation of how Worker C makes more.

Bad stuff all around. Don't discuss other people's salaries; they are confidential.

whichwayisup

One more thing, why aren't you more concerned that your boss is angry with you and maybe feels betrayed by you talking about someone's salary? You seem much more upset about the co-worker than letting your own boss down.

• 1 month later...
I've said this before - the people at work are not your friends.

Oh how I wish this statement could be embossed in flamming letters on the entry-way of every business office and workplace. And if it could be imprinted in the hearts and minds of all employers and employees it would save a lot of heartache and drama.

If only...:o