Friend who is clinically depressed

hello,

need some input on this.

My friend has recently stop taking her meds (its been about three weeks). Shes clinically depressed. her therapist knows about it, and im guessing is trying to help her cope with real life. Ive notice a change in her which she has become more negative. she keeps putting her self down, and wants to give up on everything. the othere night i was talking to her and everything that came out of her was negative and depressing. ive always tried to be positive around her and try to help her focous on postive stuff but recently ive started to become frustraded with her and her and attitude. the night i was talking to her she kept saying she wanted to quit her passion, which is music (and shes damn good!!!). i kept telling her just put it to the side for now until things get better but she refused and kept saying she wanted to quit. finally i blew my cool and agreed with her and told her to quit (i wish ive never done this). later that night she text me apologizing for being how she was , and i told her everything was ok. i text her last night saying how much i enjoyed her friendship and that i loved her. i called her today to see if she wanted to see an art show, but she never ansewerd her phone.

i guess im just worried about her. my mom has delt with these same issues ever since i was a kid, and ive witnessed some scary sh8t. i dont want anything to happen to her. she means alot to me, and i rarely get this close to anyone outside of family.

can anyone help? anybody have the same experiences?

LonelyInTheDark

Okay first of all, don't you ever feed or support any of these negative thoughts, be around her and try to support her a lot.

Remind her about things in her life she has to look forward to -smiles-

I used to be in the same position myself,... hope this helps

hello,

need some input on this.

My friend has recently stop taking her meds (its been about three weeks). Shes clinically depressed. her therapist knows about it, and im guessing is trying to help her cope with real life. Ive notice a change in her which she has become more negative. she keeps putting her self down, and wants to give up on everything. the othere night i was talking to her and everything that came out of her was negative and depressing. ive always tried to be positive around her and try to help her focous on postive stuff but recently ive started to become frustraded with her and her and attitude. the night i was talking to her she kept saying she wanted to quit her passion, which is music (and shes damn good!!!). i kept telling her just put it to the side for now until things get better but she refused and kept saying she wanted to quit. finally i blew my cool and agreed with her and told her to quit (i wish ive never done this). later that night she text me apologizing for being how she was , and i told her everything was ok. i text her last night saying how much i enjoyed her friendship and that i loved her. i called her today to see if she wanted to see an art show, but she never ansewerd her phone.

i guess im just worried about her. my mom has delt with these same issues ever since i was a kid, and ive witnessed some scary sh8t. i dont want anything to happen to her. she means alot to me, and i rarely get this close to anyone outside of family.

can anyone help? anybody have the same experiences?

Remind yourself that you are powerless to change her situation. Only she will get herself out of depression. This doesn't mean you can't support her and be there when she needs to talk. But don't try to change her.

There are a lot good resources for people struggling with depression which might help you understand what she is going through. Here is just one of the many links you get by typing in "help friend with depression":

http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/depression/living/ifyouknow.htm

From experince, a depressed person cannot control their thoughts. I was depressed myself but decided to keep it all in and hid it very well from my friends and relatives. The only thing that kept me going was my mom and boyfriend. They were really supportive. All I can recommend is be supportive. Yes it can be frustrating sometimes, but try your best to be on her side whenever she needs you and try to get her involved in your life. But you need to be careful not to contribute to her despression.