Should I dump this friend?

all is not lost

all is not lost

First of all - hi, I'm a newbie.

A few weeks ago I was on vacation and my handbag got stolen. Luckily my passport was back at the hotel,but my cash, credit card, debit card all got stolen as well as mobile phone. The Embassy for my country were unable to offer me assistance in getting home, I had not taken out travel insurance and the Embassy recommended I call a relative and ask them to Western Union me some emergency cash. Since my parents are dead, I turned to one of my "close" friends for help.

My friend gave me a complete grilling. She spoke to me like I was a 4 year old child. Said stuff like "can't your half brothers help?" - although she must know I've not seen my half brothers since I was 12. Finally she said she'd have to go ask her husband's permission to Western Union me about 100 pounds to tide me over until I could get access to my cash again.

FYI: the only time I've borrowed money from a friend ever was about 2 years ago when I borrowed 25 pounds and paid it back within 48 hours - I'm not someone who's known for borrowing money all the time or not paying it back or something.

A few minutes later she emailed me back this:

"Hey You need to contact the embassy. It it their legal obligation to get you out of there. I just spoke to Mike. We have no extra cash right now because we just bought our house and we're on a tight budget. I'm not really working properly at the moment. I'm so sorry but Italy is not far away from home and just get out of there. Thinking of you. "

I found her email and the conversation with her really patronizing. It's not her refusal to help that bothers me, it's more her attitude. I'd already explained to her that the embassy were not able to help me. I don't even feel like being friends with her any more.

Wow. I think you've learned an important lesson here: who your friends aren't.

I'd love to give her the benefit of the doubt, but based on your account I would treat her like an acquaintance from now on. Had she ever treated you like this in the past?

that is real harsh..... I wouldn't drop the friendship, maybe just keep her at an arms length... I mean its not like you went and blew off all your money you got robbed! You can stay in contact but I wouldn't go to them if you ever were having a problem.

First of all, a friend is "a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard, and someone who gives assistance (a patron/supporter)." This person is NONE of these. Unfortunately, just about 1 year ago now, I was in a similar circumstance with MUCH closer friend(s). I did some stupid **** (which, like you, was TOTALY unlike me), and even now, none are friends anymore (one was my ex). I know the feeling, but true friends would have done whatever it takes to make sure you are ok - NO MATTER WHAT! Hope this helps :)