My self-appointed mother hen...

amaysngrace

I met a woman last year and we became instant friends. She lives around the block from me and my children play with her daughter. In the past year, we have shared a lot of ourselves via stories, time together and depending on one another to help each other when need be.

She's older than I am, married, and is a very independent person. She's able to do anything a man can do, plus all the things we women do too.

At first she seemed impressed by me that I actually had the kahunas to leave a bad marriage. She told me she's considered it many times, but would never take her daughter from her father. He's a good dad.

My problem is...I feel that somehow along the way she's become my self-appointed mother hen. :( She has become very critical of me and my relationship with my BF, saying he's not good enough, and gets mad at me and becomes pretty bent when I don't take her advice.

She even went so far as to not invite my BF to a party she had this weekend, but took the liberty to invite some guy she knows and even told him about me. WTF? Does she think she knows me after one year better than I know myself???

I stopped smoking cigarettes a week ago. Friday I had a rough day and was not in the best of moods. I was talking to her about my day and she commented "Jesus, have a cigarette already". I said back "Oh yeah...that's support at it's finest".

She and her husband both smoke, but she expresses a desire to stop quite often.

Most of her friends are married. It's a joke when they have a party really because all the women give me dirty looks while a lot of the husbands greet me with big hellos and friendly smiles. I just laugh inside. I find it amusing.

I'm wondering what's up with her, really. Could she be jealous of me and my life? It's not much, but it is my own.

And why all the criticism? Doesn't she realize I've had three children to her one, left and divorced a loser, bought my own home and have managed to stay afloat, make judgment calls and have lived my life for over thirty years prior to meeting her?

Where is the respect? I honestly feel sometimes she takes what I tell her and then tells her married girlfriends the stories of my life...simply because I have one that's more interesting than her own.

What am I suppose to do while in her presence? Please help...