blind_otter

So I am trying to get into AmeriCorps. I went through the interview process and got my references. I was accepted, "unofficially" and received a letter stating that I had been "provisionally" accepted into the program, "pending funding".

This whole thing is getting really frustrating for me. I really want to work with AmeriCorps doing volunteer work but now I have this letter saying "psych! you don't got no job yet, moron!"

I talked to the director the week before last and she said she was still awaiting notification of funding for the program. Mind you, I'm supposed to start working on August 14th! Next Monday! But I haven't heard anything and I'm a little anxious.

Question:

Should I go ahead and call the director again this week? I hate to bug her, but, uh, the program is supposed to be starting next week and I have no idea if I even have a job yet.

AAAAAAAAAARGRRRRRGHGHG. :mad:

Question:

Should I go ahead and call the director again this week? I hate to bug her, but, uh, the program is supposed to be starting next week and I have no idea if I even have a job yet.

Send her an email....it's less intrusive.

Problem solved :)

This is the way of work for NGOs and any sort of organization that relies on funding. Trust me on this, she's much more frustrated than you'll ever be because she has to live with this ALL the time. Sending an email won't help in the least - it won't make the funders cough up funds faster.

I've worked as a consultant/contractor and often your contract won't get signed until the day before it begins - or the day it begins. If you're gonna live this way, you'll need to get used to not having security in this regard.

• Author
blind_otter

thanks OC, I haven't worked with NGOs before. I've always worked in the private sector, and at the university here, so things were always pretty set in stone from the get-go with those places.

I had no idea things were like this normally so you actually did help set my mind at ease.

I've just sacrificed a lot to get this job, and I am prepared to continue to make those sacrifices to do something that is fulfilling on so many levels, but sometimes it helps to get reassurance.