Lies about working from home

So, my husband and I are moving out of state at the end of August.

My husband has been working with his immediate boss to set up a plan so that he could keep his job and telecommute.

Well, his bosses boss said that he was okay with this. Today, when they went to file all the necessary paper work, the big boss claims that he is only interested in having my husband keep the job for 30 days. WHAT????

H has not been looking for jobs because we were under the impression he got to keep his, not to mention we just bought a house and were filling out all the paper work and budget as if he was keeping his job. I am so mad I could scream. This would be an appropriate place for you to read a series of profane words. Gaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

This boss is such a jerk. Last year he also decided to finally start paying the guys for their on-call hours. Then changed his mind after 3 months and decided to just take away the on-call pay. Human resources was brought in and they came to a compromise where they got to keep some of their on-call pay. I can't help but think that he's still pissed off that my husband stood up to him for that and now is purposly trying to screw us over.

Is there anything that can be done??

Just like staying in a bad relationship is a bad idea, staying in a job where the boss is a jerk is a bad idea. Your H should look for a new job now.

Almost the exact same thing just happened to me. I moved cross-country; my boss was ok with my doing my job from here, but his boss nixed the idea.

*shrug*

Moving, living my life as I needed to, was more important than a job that I mostly hated anyway, so I turned in my laptop and cell phone and left. There are other jobs. Maybe once I finish unpacking, I'll start looking for one where I'll be much happier and won't have to deal with, at least, those particular crappy bosses.

Your hubby will find another job. It may change your financial picture for a while, but unemployment compensation will fill in a bit of the gap.

How did your H get human resources to handle the last problem? Might that work again?

This guy is a jerk and doesn't deserve good workers. I'd be looking for another job.

Sorry this comes in the midst of home buying. That sucks! :sick: :sick:

• Author

I learned that there is probably not much we can do, as the original OK was only verbal. This filing of the paperwork was the first official documentation. It was unethical that he lead us on, but since there is no proof that he actually said that it was okay, there isn't much we can do. We are going to shut up and take the 30 days that is being offered.

He can't get unemployment because he'll techniqually be quiting since if he wasn't moving he could keep his job. H is finishing his master's this fall, so he'll be able to add that to his resume. His immediate boss (not the jerk) is helping him get his resume in tip top shape and will give him a glowing recommendation. I'm hopeful that he will be marketable and will find a job that is just as good if not better. Sigh.

littlekitty

Sorry to hear the news bab! Hopefully something far better is just around the corner for you both. And perhaps its a positive thing since his company isn't good at sticking to promises.

• Author
Sorry to hear the news bab! Hopefully something far better is just around the corner for you both. And perhaps its a positive thing since his company isn't good at sticking to promises.

Thanks! There are definitely some positives to getting another job and we are trying to focus on those. At least I am, H seems not to be that phased by all this. He's a optomist to fault though.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband losing his job. Try not to take it personal and imagine that if it was anyone else in his shoes who was moving out of state they too would lose the job. It was a good thing he spoke up about the pay so if they were that cheap to try to get away with free labor then oh well there are other jobs out there. Once he finds another job he'll look back and have no regrets.

I learned that there is probably not much we can do, as the original OK was only verbal. This filing of the paperwork was the first official documentation. It was unethical that he lead us on, but since there is no proof that he actually said that it was okay, there isn't much we can do. We are going to shut up and take the 30 days that is being offered.

He can't get unemployment because he'll techniqually be quiting since if he wasn't moving he could keep his job. H is finishing his master's this fall, so he'll be able to add that to his resume. His immediate boss (not the jerk) is helping him get his resume in tip top shape and will give him a glowing recommendation. I'm hopeful that he will be marketable and will find a job that is just as good if not better. Sigh.

If his boss really wants to be helpful, he can arrange with HR to state that your husband is being layed off due to position elimination (or some other HR speak), so your husband can collect unemployment. You can at least ask if he might be willing to do that.

Good luck!

soory bab esp since it's coming at a stressful time. But you two will get through it.

When my BF was unemployeed for a while it was very tough but it made our relationship stronger.