Holdiays vs new job - had them booked before new job came up

lovestruck234

Ok so here's the situation,

it looks like I'll be getting the position I applied for and start late July early August, only problem is, I had booked a week's holidays to go to the snow and have already booked my accomodation.

I have booked them on 12th August - 19th August, so a week. But around the time I START this new job! :(

I am soooooo worried about breaking it to my employee(s). I have asked different people on their take of it and they reckon that they should be ok with it as long as I tell them straight away, like as soon as they ring up and say I've got the job, I should tell them then, and I will, I'm just worried what they'll say????

As anyone who is an employee, how would you handle this? Would you be pissed off but still grant them the holidays, or would you move onto the next possible person for the role, or what?

I need some help cos I'm stressing out like MAD here!

Thanks in advance....:o

Just ask them if it will be okay. I wouldn't put it, like, "I'm going - so there," first off. :lmao: Then if they require more information you can tell them exactly what arrangements you have already made.

At least you haven't booked the flight. :confused:

• Author
lovestruck234

:laugh: ...I was going to ask if it would be ok... I wasn't going to demand anything...:laugh:

But anyway, no I'll be driving there with my bf. He has already booked in his holidays at work, but I haven't, due to this reason. I don't want to put my holidays down at the job I have now as I may not be working here in a month or so.

BUT, I hope it will be okay. I think I'm just worried about making my first impressions. I think I was pretty good in the interview, but the whole first day "Hi how's it going? Oh, is it ok if I take a weeks holidays next week?"

I'm just worried they'll be really dissapointed.....hmmmm :o

Yeah - how dare you have a life outside of work! I bet you didn't put that on your resume.

• Author
lovestruck234

:laugh::lmao: I''m trying to be serious here and all you're doing is making me laugh!

Anyway, my question is do you think they'll understand/ be considerate?

Anyway, my question is do you think they'll understand/ be considerate?

I would think so. As long as you approach things from the point of view that anything is negotiable, then I can't see a problem.

If you are the first choice, then I can hardly see something as petty as this being grounds to overlook you.

Of course it might have been best to raise this at an interview - in complete honesty - but that's not something that would be expected.

If they can't live without you, then you can cross that bridge when you come to it. Or a training course can't be moved, that sort of thing. Not likely.

If you're understanding, then it's usually reciprocated.

And I can't believe I've written so much with so little to go on. :lmao: Hopefully the job is all yours, and good luck with the new challenge!

• Author
lovestruck234

Hmmm.....good points.....

Ok, I'll see how it goes....

Thanks for your advice and humor! :laugh:

BTW, the people you work for are employERS. The people who work for them are employEES. You maybe don't want to confuse those terms when you're talking to your new bosses.

BTW, the people you work for are employERS. The people who work for them are employEES. You maybe don't want to confuse those terms when you're talking to your new bosses.

:laugh:

Yeah... she's Australian. Everything's backwards, down under. :lmao:

• Author
lovestruck234

:laugh: Lol sorry that was just a typo...

I'm may be dumb but I'm not stupid...:p

:laugh: Lol sorry that was just a typo...

I'm may be dumb but I'm not stupid...:p

Nice try - but you did it twice! :p Statistics don't lie!

Try dyeing your hair... maybe it will help? Listen, we know you're not dumb, but it's good that Outcast brought it up - pretending to be the boss is a sackable offence.

Or maybe I'm just jealous that you're going skiing and I'm not? No... that's not it. :bunny:

• Author
lovestruck234

Wow, sorry I made a mistake....:confused:

I wasn't pretending to be a boss. I just got them mixed up. Sorry I'm not perfect.

I won't do it again....

HokeyReligions

Do they seem like nice people and a good company atmosphere? They probably won't have a problem with it, but who knows? I hired someone who told me that they had a vacation already planned - but they told me in the interview when we were discussing when she would be available to start.

When they call and discuss start dates - be honest and upfront right away. Also ask what information they can give you to start learning before you actually start working. Such as reports you will be responsible for, personnel rosters, procedures - things that you will need to learn.

Most people know you have a life outside of their company.

• Author
lovestruck234

Yeah they do seem pretty friendly, but everyone's polite on a first meeting. :o

I'm feeling a bit better about it all now that I've talked to you all about it.

I was going to mention it in the interview, but this job is a traineeship position, meaning that the day they want me to start, is the day they want me to start. Basically....

Hmmmmmm....I wish I wouldn't stress out so much over it!!

littlekitty

If they didn't ask at the interview if you had any vacations or commitments in the near future, then IMO it was fine not to mention it at that point.

If they phone and offer you the job, I would accept, and immediately explain that you have a vacation arranged and would like to honour it if possible. I can't see why this would be a problem.

I've accepted a job with a pre-booked holiday, although I think I was asked in the interview. But I really can't see that it would be that much of an issue if they want you for the role.

I think in your case it depends on the company vacation policy for new employees. where I work there are no vacation days allowed for the first 6 months.

If you didn't ask them about it or discuss your start date then just ask them about it.

If you cop an attitude then look to not be there long..

Starting off on a new job by going on vacation sends a very strong message to your employer that work comes last in your life

• Author
lovestruck234

Thanks littlekitty and guest, you both had really good points and advice!

So I think it should be ok....??

guest, work is a priority to me. I believe I made a fairly good impression in the interview, although I might be wrong. I know going on holidays isn't a good impression on employers, as you said, but I think if they do end up choosing me for the job, they obviously WANT me for the job right?

I will just have to wait and see what they say.

As other posts have said, I think most employers understand you have a life outside of work. It just happens to be really bad timing that this all came up at the time that it did.

The job I have currently requires me to travel and hour and a half on the train everyday and so that's why I applied for this job as it was closer to home and it fitted what I wanted in a job.

So I suppose, if I look at it this way, if I don't end up getting it, I'll still have the job I'm at now and will just have to put up with the extra travel.

I'm happy either way, I suppose, but it would be handy if I got this job....

Hmm....soon find out. :o

I'm in this situation....my employer agreed upon a vacation I had booked and then things changed because others booked that time off as well. I paid for everything and thought this was unfair. My advice to you would be to let them know right away or soon after you accept the job and make sure they agree upon it. If you're working for the right people they'll let you have that time off, afterall, how would you have known that you were going to be working somewhere new when you booked it. If they don't understand...you're not working for the right company or people.

This has happened to me twice already. The first time they let me go it was a month or so after I started and I let them know right away when I accepted the offer.

The second time it was so close to the start date that I took a 3 weeks before I started the new job. two weeks notcie and then a week for vacation. Bith times I told them right away when I accepted I think one was even int he interview and they were cool with it.

• Author
lovestruck234

Thanks heaps Charisma and hotgurl! You both gave really good advice and I'm feeling alot better about it all now.

I will let you all know how I go!

Thank you all again! :)

• Author
lovestruck234

I didn't get the job. How much does that suck!!

I got a letter today saying that I didn't get it. GARGH!! And I hadn't even mentioned the holidays yet.!!

I just don't get it. They must of changed their mind or something. They said that were about 80% sure they wanted me for the role.....

Oh well, atleast it won't be such a hassle to go on holidays now! :p

Bad luck, dude. Their loss. At least you got really good feedback.

One time I got, "We like you, but we have to wait for 'the budget' to come through." Yeah, whatever.

Reminds me of that saying... worry is interest paid - on trouble before it becomes due!

And it reminds me of my very first payday. Finally, I could afford ice cream.

Funny thing is - lately I always seem to get ice cream when I'm having a bad day.

littlekitty

I got a letter today saying that I didn't get it. GARGH!! And I hadn't even mentioned the holidays yet.!!

I just don't get it. They must of changed their mind or something. They said that were about 80% sure they wanted me for the role.....

Oh well, atleast it won't be such a hassle to go on holidays now! :p

Bummer....! Ah well... as you say, at least you can happily go off on holiday now! Have a great time! :D

Ripped off!!

How were you ripped off ?

Maybe they sensed that you were not a good fit into their business.

I think if someone feels " ripped off " because of a business decision then they were not right for that job anyhow..

Well.. maybe it was for the best. it is my opinion that someone more interested in taking a vacation shows that they migh not have had the company in their sites to begin with.

When it is right you won't care if you go on vacation.