how do i respond to interviewers not calling back?

So anyway last week i called up this company for an interview, i left a message. following morning the guy enthusiastically called me back and would even wait for me at the time i chose for the interview.

the interview went pretty well i suppose, he said he loved my work and said i seem optimistic about working here. And even said i could probably get started on tuesday(today) when they get the comps hooked up. so he said he'd call me back later in the day or the following day, never did. unfortunately on that following day i rejected an internship at another place since they wanted an answer. yesterday i called him at the office and left a msg and told him to call me back letting me know about the status and that i could start today. no call back.

So now im sitting here wondering if he's still pondering on a decision, or doesnt have the balls to reject me over the phone. Being left hanging is the worst situation.

it's not that i dont want to look at other places for the internship i do. But i'd love to work at this company.

Now i take the risk of waiting who knows how long for his call, whether or not it will come. or possibly accepting an internship elsewhere and have him call, and reject the place i would much prefer. however, later this week a different company said they'd call me and let me know their decision.

suggestions, opinions are welcome.

Call him back and leave another message if you cannot get in touch with him. Try to see if he can be paged.

The message is simple. "I need to make a decision on my employment/internship now and I woul love to work with your firm, I need to know if the offer you made last week is still good and when I am expected to start. I don't want to keep others hanging on and I am sure you could appreciate that."

I'll second that motion.

And next time, NEVER reject an offer unless you already have another one all sewn up. (I've had employers go so far as to tell me, "I have your offer letter right here, all typed up and ready to put in the envelope." And then another VP swooped in and used politics to eliminate the position.)

In fact, I was just talking to a woman yesterday who was working a great executive assistant job for 10 years. She got an offer from another company and left her great job to join the new company. About a month later, the new folks said that they had made a mistake in 2007 budgeting and her position was being eliminated! The point is, when it comes to employment, nothing can be relied on these days except...they can't kill you. :)

• Author

thanks, well i called him back and left the message. regardless i guess ill continue job hunt again.

Solemate, i really did not want to reject the offer. honestly if i could, i woudl have left the option up in the air. taking up that internship there would've been my last choice actually. i told her that i would give her an answer by next week. But she asked if i coudl have an answer for her on the same week, i promised her i would so i made a decision. No point for me to take up the job and all of a sudden not show up down the line.

if i could have i would choose for all the interviewers to make a decision on the same day. and things are out of my control in this situation.

well, you're right about one thing, when it comes to employment its out of your hands. that's wehre self-employment comes into play!

This is the problem with so many employers. They don't have courtesy. "Time is money" my ass. Give them a few days. If they call you back when and if you've taken another offer, tell them to go to Hell.

People can't wait around when they've got to make a living. This kind of crap annoys me to no end...

Pink Amulet

Well as a journalist I am constantly being ignored for interviews. It is such a difficult line of work. You literally have a day to find leads, research topics, decide who you want to interview, make sure they can give you the interview that day, come back and write it. Usually you have to produce one to three stories a day. It's tough when people don't call you back. Okay, just thought I would use this thread to vent. We tend to find if you don't get the call back when you expected it- it's not coming. Move on.

it's not that i dont want to look at other places for the internship i do. But i'd love to work at this company.

Now i take the risk of waiting who knows how long for his call, whether or not it will come. or possibly accepting an internship elsewhere and have him call, and reject the place i would much prefer. however, later this week a different company said they'd call me and let me know their decision.

suggestions, opinions are welcome.

If someone offers you an internship, take it. You can always move to another job later when you have some experience on your resume.

If they dont call you back within a few days, it usually means their not interested. Get used to it, because recruiters and HR people couldnt care less about the people their not going to offer the job to. They'll sweet talk you and treat you like a god/goddess and pretend they really care about your career while they still think your a possibility, but when they decide your not the right person they drop the act. Its just the way the industry works, or so it is from my experience.

Get used to it, because recruiters and HR people couldnt care less about the people their not going to offer the job to. They'll sweet talk you and treat you like a god/goddess...while they still think you're a possibility, but when they decide you're not the right person they drop the act.

Oh yeah...I've seen that about a hundred times. Let it roll off your back like water off a duck.

If they call you back when and if you've taken another offer, tell them to go to Hell.

This is not good advice. It can be an amazingly small world, and stuff like this gets around. You can enjoy yourself as much or more just by smugly telling them you have taken a different position, and thanking them for their interest.

This is a little OT but I've always wondered what an Internship is. We don't have them here in the UK. Is it like work experience?

This is a little OT but I've always wondered what an Internship is. We don't have them here in the UK. Is it like work experience?

The UK does have internships, at least in the industry I work in. I dont work in the UK but Ive seen the positions advertised on the internet.

Internships are usually for university students in their penultimate year to get a chance to work in the industry they want to get into. Most common in banking/finance/law/accounting/engineering.

• Author
If someone offers you an internship, take it. You can always move to another job later when you have some experience on your resume.

If they dont call you back within a few days, it usually means their not interested. Get used to it, because recruiters and HR people couldnt care less about the people their not going to offer the job to. They'll sweet talk you and treat you like a god/goddess and pretend they really care about your career while they still think your a possibility, but when they decide your not the right person they drop the act. Its just the way the industry works, or so it is from my experience.

im pretty sure that's how it is everywhere.

Just to update you guys on what happened. he didnt call back, however the following day i went directly to his office to get an answer. he was definitely there, and my persistence paid off. Although he had a reasonable explanation for not taking me in as an intern, the same day i left he forwarded my resume to another department iwthin the same firm for the same position as promised. and i got a call back that afternoon updating me on it. Although i know if i didnt go up there that day, regardless he would not have called back.

I got the interview with the person and hopefully i should be starting next week. it seems history has repeated itself and another interviewer not call back as promised.

well thats the real world, everybody's pretentious at some point.