applying for multiple jobs at once and rejecting them as you get hired?

Im just curious what the majority or how the majority of people here go about on their job searches.

what im asking is do you go on multiple interviews at different places (yet in the same field), which improve your chances to get hired. But when you do get hired you reject the other places that accept you.

It seems like a great idea, but unethical because maybe down the road you might be applying for that company again and they might remember that you rejected hteir job offer. But then again sometimes you wonder if the grass would have been 'greener on the other side' at X company if you would have considered working there, in terms of better co-workers, better working environment, more things to learn.

The thing is im trying to find an internship this summer. the place i called up today ill have to wait half a week for an interview, for reasons out of my control. however the description of my duties there seem like a great learning experience. And then there's this other place which is a very well known corporation, that has about half the learning experience...which i have not called up.

responses are welcome..

Employers expect that you will be interviewing for jobs at many places. And they expect that some of the offers they extend will be rejected because people have already taken other jobs. There's nothing unethical or wrong with it. That's the way the work world is.

What would be wrong is waiting around for a job offer that doesn't materialize and blowing your chance of getting a job somewhere else because they've filled the role while you're waiting.

There's absolutely NOTHING unethical about it. Not even close. The company interviews many candidates. I have done LOTS of hiring, and job searching, and have never come across anyone who thinks in the way you suggest.

I recommend going as far as you can down the road with every employer who is genuinely of interest to you. When you get one offer, it is optional to call other companies and say, "I'm under pressure to make a decision elsewhere...but I'd really prefer to work for YOU!" If they're interested and not organizationally dysfunctional, they'll come through with an offer.

Then you take the best offer, and give the other companies a phone call or letter to let them know that you have selected a different position, it was a tough decision, and you very much appreciated their interest. If there was someone at a comany who was especially helpful or pleasant, it would be great to do a personal call or note and express some warm fuzzies as well.

There is nothing unethical about applying for numerous positions at the same time.

If you want to keep 'doors open' at various companies you've interviewed with, always follow up your interview with a thank you letter. It's a professional courtesy and most people don't bother to do this nowadays.

If you decide to reject an offer, be gracious and say, "I really enjoyed meeting your staff and the job sounded great. However, I decided to accept an offer with a different company that could offer me the flexibility I need at this time."

In other words, compliment the company you are rejecting and give them a reasonable answer for choosing a different company. Keep it brief and don't over-explain or act apologetic. This is business....nothing personal.

Good luck! Hope you find the job of your dreams!

I agree - nothing unethical about it at all, and hiring people should understand that a job search means multiple simultaneous applications. I've had HR people graciously wish me well when I rejected their offer to take a different position. Their offer is an OFFER, not anything that binds you. As long as you respond professionally, you are playing by the accepted rules.

The one thing you probably don't want to do, though, is accept an offer, and then, if you by chance get one of those other offers from another company soon after that, immediately turn around and quit that first one you accepted. This is a more vague scenario (i.e. how long is "soon after?") but I believe that for most companies, the assumption is that once you have accepted an offer, you and the company have made a commitment to each other. This kind of thing will burn bridges.

Like I say, it's more vague - any company (in the US anyway) will typically reserve the right to release you with little or no notice, and most employees are legally entitled to walk away unless you are bound by some kind of contract. However, to quit without cause (i.e. to take a "better" position) early in your employment can leave a bad taste in a company's mouth.

• Author

thx for hte feedback. the first interview i went on, the person expected it from me, she even gave me the option of giving her my decision now or later.

After seeing how unprofessional that place was i decided to call up other places and went on those interviews. however its been a day since the interviews and ill have to wait and see what their answer will be.

unfortunately i have to give my answer to the first interview today as i promised, which is a last minute choice...i would like to postpone an answer. But its unprofessional to not call someone back

thanks for the feedback.

The one thing you probably don't want to do, though, is accept an offer, and then, if you by chance get one of those other offers from another company soon after that, immediately turn around and quit that first one you accepted. This is a more vague scenario (i.e. how long is "soon after?") but I believe that for most companies, the assumption is that once you have accepted an offer, you and the company have made a commitment to each other. This kind of thing will burn bridges.

Like I say, it's more vague - any company (in the US anyway) will typically reserve the right to release you with little or no notice, and most employees are legally entitled to walk away unless you are bound by some kind of contract. However, to quit without cause (i.e. to take a "better" position) early in your employment can leave a bad taste in a company's mouth.

that has crossed my mind once or twice already, but i realize it's never right to do so. always leave with a good and lasting impression, even if you reject their offer.

And thats how i realize most companys do it also. my interviews are for internships, and the majority it seems is that they do the first come/first serve approach. generally it seems that the ones who call/show up for interview have priority over ones that do it later.

what also crossed my mind several times is calling back a company that you rejected a job offer/interview with, for the reason of wanting an opportunity with them. But then i also feel it just makes you look bad, because you failed at finding work elsewhere and working with them is a last minute choice.

so in short, you only have one choice, and there is no turning back.