my job is really pissing me off.

phyrespryte

I've been at this company for 3 years. I've made it clear on numerous occasions that I wanted to be full-time. Since they didn't have a position available I went back to school.

Well about a month ago a position opened up. All the co-managers came up to me and asked if I was interested. I said YES! But then the store manager goes and hires this teenage boy from another store.

I was a little mad about that, but since I'm going to school and want to study abroad next quarter...it worked out. I was offended though that my store manager blew me off like that, but I guess it's unimportant.

Then today I came in to work at the wrong time. I could've sworn I was scheduled to work 8-5 instead of 12-9. I've already made plans and I couldn't work that shift. I asked if I could just work an 8-5, but they told me to go home and take a nap. A NAP!

Ok I understand some positions it's crucial for an employee to be around at a certain time. Well my position isn't one of those. So for them to pull that crap about needing me tonight is ridiculous.

Am I overreacting? I mean I've worked there for so freaking long...I don't get why they can't cut me some slack? I've only called out once. I stay late hours. I've been known to work 12 hour days when things are bad. I've even worked on my days off to help them out. This is just wrong!

Never make the mistake of thinking you're anything but an object to the people you work for. You can sweat blood for them, sell your family and home for them, and cut off an arm for them and in return you'll get nothing.

Your expectations of them are too high. Expect nothing, because that's what you'll always get.

• Author
phyrespryte
Your expectations of them are too high. Expect nothing, because that's what you'll always get.

Yeah I guess I got to comfortable with them and thought they'd have a little sympathy.

Oh well. Another valuable life lesson learned.

so you work in retail... I worked in retail for a very long time, I was a manager for over 15 years, Get out while you can, retail is a tough business to be in

have you been in that store longer than the manager has, that may be the problem...

• Author
phyrespryte

Yeah retail sucks. I was hoping to go the visuals route and work for corporate.

HAH!

The store manager has been with the company longer than I have. She's also pregnant and that combined with her raging hormones...she's a bit moody? I have a feeling she thinks I'm going to quit so she's been kind of rude to me.

The co-manager working that day has only been there for about 5-6 months. He's always pissing me off. He's such a stickler for the rules, but he doesn't ever look at the big picture. We could be slammed and he'll be bothering me to find a folding board so he could straighten some unimportant pile of shirts.

Had another manager been there I would've behaved in a more calm manner, but they wouldn't have told me to go home either.

Oh well. I've no desire to stay in retail anymore. It's kind of scary. You get real comfortable and then you realize you're in a really crappy situation.

RecordProducer

I've noticed that in all work environments it's all about whether the boss likes you or not. The reason number one for people quitting jobs, according to the statistics, is hatred toward their bosses.

You need to eventually find a job where your efforts are appreciated by your managers. Right now, they are using you so YOU use them too to learn, make money, gain experience on paper and thus improve your resume, etc.

People can't live and work in a nagetaive environment. I have quit working with and for many people after a short time, because they were totally unprofessional and mean to me for no reason. I don't put up with s*** and don't like to fight for my place under the sun with losers. They can have their stinky, little place for themselves cuz I simply walk away. Yes, I have lost money because of this attitude, but I can't run away from myself. My dignity is who I am. Long before I try to be liked by them, I find myself resenting those petty creatures.

My grand-father lost his first job because he was being cocky and opened his mouth when he shouldn't have. Later he found another job and acquired the most important position in his filed in the whole country. He kept this position until retirement.

Sometimes you need to move one step backward so you can move two steps forward. It's good that you're continuing with your education - that's more important than hitting your head off the wall about whether somebody appreciates you or not. ;)

• Author
phyrespryte

Thanks RP, your post really put things in perspective. I don't have to work at this place and it's no longer benefitting me so I think quitting will probably be best right now.

And I love the part about taking a step backward in order to take 2 steps forward. When I read that, I felt like a light bulb turned on in my brain. Part of me has been hanging onto this job because the idea of being unemployed kind of scared me. It also seemed like I was throwing out my backup plan. But now that I think about it... I don't want to advance in this company.

thanks so much. :)

i understand what you are going through..hmm, just try to search for another job, or digest your current situation. either or, fings will b fine at the end of theday if u have patience, tolerance...

shakedatbody

i can understand what u r going fru and I will like to tellu that search for another job, or confront the situation prevailing in ur office..be patient and tolerant or just go.