How much are we supposed to put up with!

I used to like my job. Until a couple of months ago when there was a big shakeup at work and I ended up with two new bosses. The woman I report to now doesn't know her job or how to prioritize work. She nitpicks everything and is rude and has an attitude. But, she's her boss's pet. She's allowed to make mistakes because shes a new manager -- never supervised anyone before and has no experience in it. She is not taking care of business and when I tried to help her with the workload she copped an attitude. So I backed off and let her do all of it. I used to do the job she is now learning, but she won't accept any suggestions or explanations or help. Her answer is just "do it my way" and its hurting the work. Work is late and we have deadlines that will cost the company money if they are not met. It lands on my desk because I'm still responsible for actually doing the work.

Anyway, I worked late last night playing catch-up and I had an issue that I needed an answer for so I called the manager of the project. Today my boss stormed into my office and actually yelled at me and told me to never call or talk to that manager again. I used to report directly to him, but with the shakeup I've been bumped way down the pecking order - rather the new management installed two levels above me.

This has been going on for a couple of months now and I've about had it. Two people have quit because of this and we are all working hard just trying to keep our heads above water. I go home in tears now because I'm so stressed. Wednesday a man in another department went berserk in the parking garage and someone called the police because the man was apparently causing damage to a vehicle. I don't know the whole story, but I'm sure it was stress related. Its not just me.

Well, I was yelled at at 8:00 this morning and I was on the phone calling my other boss (got her voice mail) and I ended up calling human resources about it. I try to be nice and I am trying to be understanding that this girl is new. I've suggested that maybe she needs some training in how to be a supervisor - but no one listens to me.

Its like we've been bumped so low that the new management treats us like we are just ignorant people who are not qualified to contribute anythiing -- they know it all and we know nothing. Never mind that some of us have more experience and more skills than some of the new managers.

Well, I got an 'invitation' to a meeting with another manager on Monday. I asked if this included two others in my department or just me. (When I talked to her on the phone I told her I was not the only one with the same problem and that two others would like to talk with her about all of this too)

Well, the meeting is for me only. She wanted me to come over and meet with her before I left for the day but I told her how far behind I was and that I really needed to stay late to make the deadlines. That is true, but I also hoped that she would see that I am still putting the work first. She said that was fine and that we would just keep the Monday meeting.

I'm not perfect and I've admitted that I'm making some mistakes and that its due to the stress - they can see that the mistakes I'm making began a couple of months ago. I can defend myself, but I should'nt be put in a defensive position at work! That's a horrible way to work.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get "let go" on Monday. The squeaky wheel gets replaced as often as it gets oiled. I would almost be relieved, but then I would have the stress of looking for a new job and hopefully starting a new job before too long. I'm already looking for a job.

Should I just do what I'm told, even when I know its not the best way, or even the right way? Should I just accept being the door-mat where people wipe their feet and keep saying "I'm sorry, I'll try to do better" even when its not in my control to make any decisions or change things?

I can defend myself to a degree, but with no management support from anyone I don't have a chance. They won't even acknowledge my defense - but the new manager can screw up right and left and her boss supports her 100% so she's not in any trouble and just passes the blame to me.

I know they are trying to force me to quit and its working. I just don't know if its going to kill me before I can find a new job and leave. I can't quit without something else because I have no other means of financial support. No family or anyone who could help me if I don't have an income for a while.

Human Resources wasn't much help -- they are there to protect the company, not individual employees.

It's got so bad that there are whispered rumblings from everyone at my level who was affected by this, of staging a walk-out. HR policy is that anyone who does this is automatically terminated though and no unemployment. But if we all walked out it would really hurt the company and maybe someone with some actual authority to do something would listen.

I have never been this upset. I can't relax or sleep or concentrate on anything - it's like I have a tornado inside me.

Curmudgeon

It would appear that you have a 50-50 chance here. Either you can help make things better and the company as well or you can be let go. If it's the former, everyone wins. If it's the latter, just how bad off will you be to be leaving a job you've come to not enjoy and that's loading you with stress you don't need? Perhaps you'd be the catalyst to cause other disaffected employees pull the plug and leave as well.

I wish you luck!

curiousnycgirl

Holy cow - I think you and I work for the same company! This is happening everywhere throughout my company every day.

My suggestion to you is to just keep plugging away, doing everything by the book (which means do what she says) and look for a new position.

I am only saying this because I understand your position - I couldn't go without work either.

Bottom line is you do need to get out of there. It is not a healthy situation - and if indeed we work in the same company - I foresee it getting far worse before it gets any better.