Boss who never stops talking

tripledigit

It's hard enough when a co-worker doesn't stop talking, but I have a boss who never stops talking. He's kinda geeky and when discussing work with him, he will go on and on and on...it's at the point now where I just type away or do other things while he talks or even start walking away from him (rude as that is, but it has to be done) I mean, I have to work with him and so I need him to talk about work to me, but I wish he would be more concise in his instructions rather than telling me the full background of every single thing. I now try to just let him go on (cos EVENTUALLY he stops) rather than say anything, cos i know if i ask anything or say anything that will just trigger off another topic for him to talk about. Worse, sometimes when i say something to him, trying to cut him short by saying i understand etc, he looks at me, then continues what he was saying.

and, in case you think it's cos he feels he needs to give me lots of instructions, that's not the case, he is like that with EVERYONE, and my other colleagues have complained to me about it too. but cos he's the head, no one feels right sying anything to him. Plus, its more in his personality, ca't really change his wordy (and boring) monologues...

should i just put up with it and continue the way it is. i sometimes try to avoid looking at him now when it looks like he's coming into my office.

Send him an anonymous email or letter. You can block your email addy from appearing, or just write a letter, (better yet TYPE) and put it on his desk, stating that he is very interesting but at times extremely verbose and it hinders others from focusing their attention on the tasks at hand. I wouldnt recommend using words like "EVERYONE" however, because that will make him feel alienated, as if noone likes him. Rather, just state that he is quite verbose, and if he could tone down the chit chat, it would be greatly appreciated. Make sure to include how "highly intelligent" he is.

Art_Critic

One way of getting him to stop talking is let him know your lack of respect for authority and he will fire you.

If all your boss is doing is talking to much then be glad you have a job and respect the fact that the man is over your head and is your boss.

You have a job because of him and his talking.

I agree, you should just deal with it. The anonymous note just sounds like a bad idea.

The anonymous note just sounds like a bad idea.

Your absolutely right.

On second thought, tripledigit, just sit there miserably and do nothing while his incessant prattling slowly eats away at what tentative nerves and patience you have left.

Art_Critic
On second thought, tripledigit, just sit there miserably and do nothing while his incessant prattling slowly eats away at what tentative nerves and patience you have left.

I wouldn't want someone that feels the way you do to be in my employ.

Employment is all about team leadership and play and you also have to remember the fact that she is under him and is making disrespectful comments about her boss tells me that she most likely will not be under his employ much longer..

Disgruntled/disrespectful employees that don't play on the company team always seem to find themselves unemployed

Phew, thats a relief, because I wouldnt want to work for someone who feels the way that YOU do.

How is her bringing up the fact that his incessant prattling is hindering her "disrespectful"??

Disgruntled/disrespectful employees that don't play on the company team always seem to find themselves unemployed

So therefore, she should be forced to deal with his prattling?? Is there REALLY no other way??? It doesnt hardly seem fair.

After all, his prattling is interupting her from working. And we dont go to work to hear someone insessantly prattling. We go to work to work.

and how the hell would you know about my work ethic? Or my loyalty? And integrity?

Art_Critic

and how the hell would you know about my work ethic? Or my loyalty? And integrity?

your words tell me a lot about yourself and how you treat the authority figures above you.

I have never mentioned your work ethic.. or loyality or intergrity.. those things you mentioned.

and the fact that I have been a boss for over 25 years and have hired/fired a lot of people in that time. It gives me the intuition to sense the kind of person that I wouldn't want in my businesses.

90% of my employees have been here for over 15 years..some over 20.. that must make me a good employer.. and I set up a good enviroment for them to feel happy about coming to work everyday

and I set up a good enviroment for them to feel happy about coming to work everyday

What about when they have issues with a boss who talks too much and hinders them from completing the tasks at hand?

She did say BOSS and not OWNER, right?

Do you mean to tell me that there is absolutely nothing this woman can do to tone down the chatter?

your words tell me a lot about yourself and how you treat the authority figures above you.

No, words are just words, they have no bearing on how I treat someone. I could curse out the man who cut me off in a car, but that doesnt mean I am going to hunt him down and tell him what I think.

Just to let you know, I have been employed by the same company for 4 years. So there.

Art_Critic
What about when they have issues with a boss who talks too much and hinders them from completing the tasks at hand?

You're taking this a bit far... he just talks too much..He isn't creating something like a bad enviroment that she can't work..like sexual harrasment or something of that nature

She has to be more tolerant of him.

He is her Boss

I know that if anybody has any issue with me that I have an open door policy and they will come to me and air out the issues.

If she really can't work becuase he talks to much ( :lmao: ) then she needs to talk to him about it.. but not be disrespectful towards him

• Author
tripledigit

wow, i didn't realise my question would spark off an almost angry debate.

typical - thanks for your advice, but i don't think that will work cos it's a small firm and no such thing as "anonymous" here.

art critic - i know where you are coming from and sorry that you've chosen to take my issue almost personally - it probably isn't clear in my post but there's more to it then just excessive talking. there have actually been people who have sought other employment because they had to work with him and could not tolerate the way he worked, all have the same issues as me (really, there's more to it than excessive talking)...unfortunately there is the feeling that people do not respect him (including other management)- that he is all talk and no action, say, for example, meeting client deadlines etc, he almost spends too prattling but fails to see the bigger picture in what he needs to do. i've worked with him for about a year and a half now, i would think that is quite tolerant already, and yes, i understand he is my senior, but that does not mean i can't have issues with the way he is.

pricillia

Employment is all about team leadership and play and you also have to remember the fact that she is under him and is making disrespectful comments about her boss tells me that she most likely will not be under his employ much longer..

really art critic i had someone at work do that to the boss = made fun of her, complained about her, and everyone else for that matter and

she got a promotion and is now the bosses right hand woman

the boss is woman as well so no behind the scenes hookups going on

although you never know

the original poster has a boss that continues his or her point when the point has been taken, let your team member who gets it do thier job

and get on with the day...

The thing you need to remember is that bosses come and go. And in your career you will find that you will be forced to work with many differect types of people and managers. Some you will love and some you will hate. But that's just life. It sounds as if he is not trying to cause a distructive work place, he just communicates differently than others. You will need to find a subbtle way to let him know you appreciate his interest in passing knowledge but you are wanting yo get back to your work. Try a few different things and test his reaction. Hopefully you will find the right one.

Maybe this tripledigit person works for you Art. How much do you talk when you're at the office? Maybe you just need to cut back a little bit and let your people work.

Originally posted by Art_Critic: I wouldn't want someone that feels the way you do to be in my employ.

How do you know you have not employed me already and I am one of your stellar workers?.....You never know....

Art_Critic
How do you know you have not employed me already and I am one of your stellar workers?.....You never know....

why are you going back and re-reading/posting old posts that you have already replied to ?

why are you going back and re-reading/posting old posts that you have already replied to ?

Oh, forgive me....I didnt know there was a time limit on posting to threads. Thank god there is you on here, the leading guru on posting do's and dont's or else I am fairly certain that the rest of us will fall into a quagmire of uncertainty....

Is it possible that typical could be smoochieface in disguise?

I dont get it? :eek: