Boss who never stops talking

It's hard enough when a co-worker doesn't stop talking, but I have a boss who never stops talking. He's kinda geeky and when discussing work with him, he will go on and on and on...it's at the point now where I just type away or do other things while he talks or even start walking away from him (rude as that is, but it has to be done) I mean, I have to work with him and so I need him to talk about work to me, but I wish he would be more concise in his instructions rather than telling me the full background of every single thing. I now try to just let him go on (cos EVENTUALLY he stops) rather than say anything, cos i know if i ask anything or say anything that will just trigger off another topic for him to talk about. Worse, sometimes when i say something to him, trying to cut him short by saying i understand etc, he looks at me, then continues what he was saying.

and, in case you think it's cos he feels he needs to give me lots of instructions, that's not the case, he is like that with EVERYONE, and my other colleagues have complained to me about it too. but cos he's the head, no one feels right sying anything to him. Plus, its more in his personality, ca't really change his wordy (and boring) monologues...

should i just put up with it and continue the way it is. i sometimes try to avoid looking at him now when it looks like he's coming into my office.