At my wit's end...time to move on?

I changed careers about 18 months ago due to my divorce. I now work in a customer service capacity for a manufacturer along with sales and estimating responsibilities. Keep in mind, this is a company of about 50 employees and I am the sole customer service representative.

Lately additional duties have been added to my plate, including making all the arrangements for professional shows, putting together bid packages, implementing new software....the list gets bigger every week or two. Now I don't mind doing some extra things here and there, but lately these things have been added to my job description and there has been no increase in pay to compensate for the extra work ($1,600 / mo.) In addition, there have been hints that I need to start putting in some extra hours...to go "the extra mile", be part of the "team"....you know, the usual.

I'm a single mother with a teenaged son and a pre-teen daughter. I have sole responsibility for these children and they are busy like most teenagers are. I do not want my job to become my life, you know? I do not want my job to take away from my time with my kids. I want to have time to pursue other things in my life that are not work related!

My dilemma is that I'm salaried...no overtime is paid. I have put in a few extra hours here and there without compensation. My feeling is that if I don't put in extra hours that my job might be in jeopardy.

How do I make it clear that I'm not going to put in overtime without compensation without coming off sounding like a bitch? How do I make it clear that my children come before the "team" and that's all there is to it?

whats wrong with me

I see you really need some advice so I'll bump your thread a few times, so you dont have to keep posting

Hmmm . . . this is tough.

If I were you, I would start logging my work, so that I could later take it to my boss and show him how much work I do, how much of the day it takes, etc. I would go over your job description, suggesting that it may need to be revised (and if the description changes, so should the pay, no?)

Another thought is to suggest a student work-study situation. Someone who could help you. (Just don't SAY you need help or that you will fall behind. Rather, indicate how much more efficient the entire business would be by providing you with a helper.)