Cleavage at Work - Proper or Improper?

I would like your opinion please. Do you think cleavage at work is appropriate? I work at a large educational institution where all of our students are 18-30. I find it inappropriate, offensive, and improper. For a bar, fine, for a date, fine, I just don't think it's proper for the workplace. I was wondering if others feel this way or if I am really behind the times. The person I am referring to is 50+, wrinkled, saggy, and it looks unsightly because I think she also goes braless. Please let me know what you think...especially the guys...is this attractive to you? Thanks.

In a professional setting I don't think boob cleavage (severe showing of it on a constant basis) is proper......nor is showing butt cleavage with the low rise pants.

a4a

bluechocolate

The person I am referring to is 50+, wrinkled, saggy, and it looks unsightly because I think she also goes braless.

What has that got to do with anything?

In my opinion cleavage, wrinkled & saggy or smooth & pert, doesn't belong in a professional settting like an office or an educational institution. Especially if there is any kind of client contact.

Last time I checked you cannot turn cleavage on or off--sort of goes with the territory.

If it is in poor taste--super low cut blouses, etc, I agree, the dress code needs to be addressed.

slubberdegullion
nor is showing butt cleavage with the low rise pants.

Unless you're a plumber, in which case it's part of the dress code.

Last time I checked you cannot turn cleavage on or off--sort of goes with the territory.

..You can cover it or not cover it.

And I think that in a professional environment it should be covered.

Well it depends on what you call cleavage. Some people think showing any skin on the chest at all is inappropriate. LIke if you don't button the second button on your shirt. SORRY, I feel like I'm slowly being choked to death if I button it all the way up.

Too much cleavage is bad. But a little tasteful decolletage never hurt ANYONE.

bluechocolate
Well it depends on what you call cleavage. Some people think showing any skin on the chest at all is inappropriate. LIke if you don't button the second button on your shirt. SORRY, I feel like I'm slowly being choked to death if I button it all the way up.

Too much cleavage is bad. But a little tasteful decolletage never hurt ANYONE.

If you, or anyone else in the office, can use it as a pencil holder then you're probably showing too much cleavage. :p

Though, don't know how that would work for the saggy, braless 50+ year old that the OP mentioned.

Unless you're a plumber, in which case it's part of the dress code.

I hate ugly butt cleavage.........now on the right plumber........ well lets just say it may incline me to play with his pipe wrench.

a4a

if its done in good taste, I dont see a problem. But if it is all out there, yes it is a distraction in a business setting.

what about this?

at my wifes work, there has been 2 women how have been "talked" to for having erect nipples showing thru there blouse. They were told to wear a padded bra in the future.

For most women its not a problem, but some women just have very long nipples and no bra is going to hide them when they are erect.

from a mans standpoint, I really dont care, its nice "eye" candy, but i am a guy and as most men, we love to see headlights and cleavage, workplace or not, I know, I am a pig, but what guy isnt.

I would assume MOST complaints come from other women, I dont see a man complaining that the hottie in accounting is dressing too sexy.

• Like 1
I hate ugly butt cleavage.........now on the right plumber........ well lets just say it may incline me to play with his pipe wrench.

a4a

I am still laughing out loud!

Anyway - I wanted to add that a woman does not need to show everything (or even for that matter anything) to be sexy! I am always amazed when women think that the more skin they show - the more a man will desire them.

It is all a matter of proper time and place. I wouldn't get mad if someone in the office portrayed themselves this way however I might think it is unprofessional and pathetic.

I personally think a fabulous conservative suit with a short skirt is alot more appealing and enticing, especially if a gal is tall with nice legs.

if its done in good taste, I dont see a problem. But if it is all out there, yes it is a distraction in a business setting.

what about this?

at my wifes work, there has been 2 women how have been "talked" to for having erect nipples showing thru there blouse. They were told to wear a padded bra in the future.

For most women its not a problem, but some women just have very long nipples and no bra is going to hide them when they are erect.

from a mans standpoint, I really dont care, its nice "eye" candy, but i am a guy and as most men, we love to see headlights and cleavage, workplace or not, I know, I am a pig, but what guy isnt.

I would assume MOST complaints come from other women, I dont see a man complaining that the hottie in accounting is dressing too sexy.

Real honest post and I think that most men would think this.

If a woman has HUGE boobs sometimes it doesn't matter what shirt she has on, there will be some cleavage. A nice blouse will still show cleavage unless it's buttoned up to the neck. In general if the whole outfit looks work appropriate then others should just deal with the cleavage. If the outfit is more like a "bar" or "date" outfit then management needs to put in a dresscode. I know of places where women are not allowed to wear short skirts that are well above the knee...

If a woman has HUGE boobs sometimes it doesn't matter what shirt she has on, there will be some cleavage. A nice blouse will still show cleavage unless it's buttoned up to the neck.

I know of places where women are not allowed to wear short skirts that are well above the knee...

I have big boobs and a tiny lower everything (C cup and a size 0 on the bottom).

As much as most men would think this is a good thing, my husband thought my legs were my greatest asset. (I appreciated him not groping at my boobs when we first dated- as most men did).

I always wore a very conservative blouse with a suit (short skirt is good for me (and most of my clients were female - but it made me feel great) - but if it is a longer skirt or pants - I don't care ALL of my legs parts are good to go (and up above too).

There is such a thing is tastefull cleavage.

Exactly as long as it isn't showing too much i see nothing wrong along with taste not too much is very inappropriate..

I don't consider it appropriate at work. There's a woman in my office who is in her early 50s who thinks she's still a teenager and dresses accordingly, including low-cut dresses and I don't think anyone takes her seriously because of it. Perhaps that's why she's been single for well over 20 years.

Age is not the factor, however. I don't care if they're 20 or 60, any professional and anyone working in a professional venue should show some decorum.

For the record, I'll be 60 in a few months and my wife will be 58. She neither wrinkled nor saggy, nor did she ever dress in such a manner that anyone else would know that before she retired, or after. It's our secret! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think a fabulous conservative suit with a short skirt is alot more appealing and enticing, especially if a gal is tall with nice legs.

Conservative suits work well. I like them even if no legs are showing. My view is, if anyone complained, (male or female) then a visit from the dress code police will be needed. There is a thing as to much clevage in a professional workplace. It is not professional to not wear a bra.

A dress code would need to be addressed but unlike men, dress shoes, suit, shirt, and tie are pretty much cut and dry. Not much deviation other than shirt design/color matched with tie color/design and accessories. Women in my opinion have it easier when it comes to a dress code.

I think part of it depends on your office culture.

Some places have dress codes because they want to portray a certain image. I knew a girl who worked for large bank and they were instructed to keep skirts a certain length, shirts buttoned up to the collar bone, etc. They were very very specific.

I'm glad not to work in a place that stiff. BUT....I do think it's ridiculous when women in my office wear things like super-tight, ill-fitting clothes or belly shirts or anything that squeezes the boobs up to under their chins. They just look unprofessional and.....sorry.....not very intelligent.

One women who used to work for us had to be told several times to leave her belly shirts and thigh-high pink boots at home. Let me add, she was over 35.

Her supervisor had to tell her, "Look, your clients are sick people. Do you think they are going to have much faith in a healthcare provider who dresses like she's going out clubbing after work?"

It was just ridiculous.

If a woman has HUGE boobs sometimes it doesn't matter what shirt she has on, there will be some cleavage. A nice blouse will still show cleavage unless it's buttoned up to the neck.

I know of places where women are not allowed to wear short skirts that are well above the knee...

Cleavage at work is fine, given the type of clothing you are wearing. Tudor's idea of "tasteful cleavage" is what I'm thinking. I had a boss who has enormous breasts and really couldn't conceal them all of the time up to the neck. Most of her outfits showed nothing, of course, but others that were nice showed some cleavage near her neck. Big deal. And this woman was meeting with CEOs from members of our organization all of the time. Her attitude was very professional, so this was never an issue. And she didn't take any lip from men. Ha ha ha.

The age of the person is irrelevant, it's just not appropriate looking at work.

Okay then, what about if a man shows cleavage at work?

I'll admit it, chest hair tufting out of an overly opened shirt is gross. Especially if he's wearing a gold chain. :sick:

I'll admit it, chest hair tufting out of an overly opened shirt is gross. Especially if he's wearing a gold chain. :sick:

This was my driver's ed teacher in high school I will never forget -- he had a gold chain that -- er-- rested on the thick tuft of hair growing from the front of his body. So the chain never actually touched skin as far as I could see.