The National Dean's List

allaboutchoices

OK, so I got a letter today about making it on the National Dean's List. To be honest I had no clue it existed, but great, I've accomplished something I guess.

My question is: Has it helped anyone in getting a job or in any other area besides showing off? ;) (j/k about that part)

I mean what is it good for besides ego boost and one more place to have your name in?

laRubiaBonita

is it one of those things where you can buy the Book, and submit a picture, and they have all the names of everyone on the list?

not that is isn't awesome that you are on iT ..Congrats....but i rememeber something like that in HS, it was for good grades, but they also tried to sell you this book.

• Author
allaboutchoices

Yeah, I think it is based on grades. And yeah, they offered a book (for $70 - good grief! ), but didn't really try to sell it.

Oh well, my ego is a bit flatter now then yesterday I guess ;)

Thanks guys.

Honestly, they put several people on that "national dean's list" It's not that important, and almost anyone can get on it, including "C" students. I know this because someone I know got a letter saying the same thing, and they did not recieve "A" or "B" grades, only "C" grades. The only Dean's list that is really important is the one from your school, in which the school will send you a letter. -Now that is something worth adding to resume's for work or scholarships!

laRubiaBonita
Honestly, they put several people on that "national dean's list" It's not that important, and almost anyone can get on it, including "C" students. I know this because someone I know got a letter saying the same thing, and they did not recieve "A" or "B" grades, only "C" grades. The only Dean's list that is really important is the one from your school, in which the school will send you a letter. -Now that is something worth adding to resume's for work or scholarships!

I take it YOU were never on the National Dean's List....

• Author
allaboutchoices

Well, my GPA is 3.9 after a year and a half. I deserve to be on some list! :bunny: I'm calling my school demanding to be put on their list:D

j/k

I don't really care, I was just curious if it's of any help.

RainyDayWoman

good for you! i am on my school's dean's list also, and i would like to be recognized nationally as well...actually, i'm a bit jealous! lol.

congratulations. if nothing else, it's a pretty cool thing. not everyone can say they are on it! :D

don't be so bitter, roxy g. something good might happen for you too someday.

check this out...

thenationaldeanslist.com/5faq/faq.aspx

it's not just for any old average joe....

• Author
allaboutchoices

Yeah, not everyone...only another 250.000 people ;), or as they say: "1/2 of 1% of our nation's college students"

What is 'our nation'? :cool:

RainyDayWoman
Yeah, not everyone...only another 250.000 people ;), or as they say: "1/2 of 1% of our nation's college students"

What is 'our nation'? :cool:

considering how many people are in college...250,000 is nothing.

there is also a part that says they will contact emplyees or future schools, etc of your award.

i think it's definitely something to be proud of...

(i edited my last post to add a link)

• Author
allaboutchoices

Rainy,

thank you. I wasn't sure if it was something good or not. If nothing else it keeps me motivated.

Hey, you will get there one day :)

I didn't even know it existed. I'm not from US, so many things are still a bit surprising for me ;)

RainyDayWoman

of course it's good! and you should be thrilled with yourself.

even if it's not something that'll make you an extra million, so what? it can't hurt!

and actually, i don't know if i wll get there one day...i've made the dean's list every semester, and i've never heard of anyone at my school being nominated......hmmmmmm....

I've been on both the National Dean's List as well as my school's Dean's List, as far as my school's list goes I was part of only 3% that made it on the list, so I'm not jealous of anyone, I only strive to push myself further. I believe, the gal asked whether this could go on a resume in which I did reply to her question. I would not put the National Dean's List as an honor becasue to me it doesn't seem very legible, but that is just my opinion, to each their own.

RainyDayWoman
I've been on both the National Dean's List as well as my school's Dean's List, as far as my school's list goes I was part of only 3% that made it on the list, so I'm not jealous of anyone, I only strive to push myself further. I believe, the gal asked whether this could go on a resume in which I did reply to her question. I would not put the National Dean's List as an honor becasue to me it doesn't seem very legible, but that is just my opinion, to each their own.

I find it difficult, based on your crude writing skills, that you made it onto any list other than for remedial classes or instructional support. just my opinion, to each their own. :)

I find it difficult, based on your crude writing skills, that you made it onto any list other than for remedial classes or instructional support. just my opinion, to each their own. :)

At least I know that the beginning of each sentence should be capitalized. Learn to proofread, and stop being so critical of each person's opinion. I suppose I didn't realize how childish some people can be!

Hmmm...that reminds me of the "International Who's who" directory. You can buy that, too. They can give you a special listing - for a fee.

i don't know if i wll get there one day...i've made the dean's list every semester, and i've never heard of anyone at my school being nominated......hmmmmmm..

You may wish to note that 'I' used as a pronoun is generally capitalized. :rolleyes: If you read the faq to which you referred, you'll note that not all educational institutions participate. Yours may not. Or perhaps none of your instructors have chosen you. I don't see that it says all students on deans' lists will make it to their list.

I find it difficult, based on your crude writing skills, that you made it onto any list other than for remedial classes or instructional support. just my opinion, to each their own.

Then that displays a woeful amount of ignorance about learning disabilities, since extremely intelligent people may have difficulties with spelling and grammar due to learning disorders.

Amerikajin, the International Who's Who is a highly reputable directory of notables. You join as a member in order to get a directory of your own, not to be listed. You have to be nominated by someone or chosen by their Membership Committee and then submit your bio and be interviewed and checked out; and they won't accept you if you aren't a genuine somebody. You can't just buy your way into the book; in fact listings are free.

No, there is no cost or obligation for a free listing in our directory. Membership is completely voluntary. If you are accepted, you will be contacted regarding the outcome and given an opportunity to purchase the directory. Everyone who successfully completes the one-to-one interview with a Membership Selection Committee representative will be listed in the publication in our nonmember section.
RainyDayWoman

i typically do not capitalize when i write online. i consider it a formal setting and write how i choose. oh, well. i'm sure you'll manage. :D i won't write that way to a professor, of course, but you guys, well, you know...

I was in the "National Dean's List" book for three yrs in a row while in college. A few employers seemed impressed by the fact that I was a part of it. But I didn't get those jobs. I think it looks good and I also felt that I deserved it.

RainyDayWoman

to the original poster, great for you (and others who have shared their accomplishments.)

don't let anyone of a lesser intelligence tell you otherwise. :)

To RainyDay Woman, if you are still criticizing me, get over it! Honestly, I gave my opinion which is clearly what each person asks for, whether it is what anyone may want to hear or not. I did not chastise her for making it onto the Nat'l Dean's List, I was merely speaking of how I felt about it. Another thing I would like to say is, how can you come off saying how "stupid" I may be since I misspelled ONE word?! I could go on criticizing you, but obviously I am a bigger person. Regardless, I am done bantering with RainyDay Woman, as I really don't get into these forums to do so with other posters.

Amerikajin, the International Who's Who is a highly reputable directory of notables. You join as a member in order to get a directory of your own, not to be listed. You have to be nominated by someone or chosen by their Membership Committee and then submit your bio and be interviewed and checked out; and they won't accept you if you aren't a genuine somebody. You can't just buy your way into the book; in fact listings are free.

Listings are free, but you don't have to do all that stuff to get in. I did fill out an info sheet with my bio after I was excepted. I was never interviewed. I did it cause it didn't cost anything, and it can't hurt, but I certainly didn't send them the $70 for a book. I did not put it on my resume, it's too cheesy and that's not the image I want to portray.

The only people who are going to purchase such a book are those that are listed or their parents. That's what make's it sketchy. If it was so reputable then they'd send people that were excepted their own copy.

The only people who are going to purchase such a book are those that are listed or their parents. That's what make's it sketchy. If it was so reputable then they'd send people that were excepted their own copy

Sorry but you're dead wrong. You'll find the International Who's Who in every library's Reference collection. Those are VERY expensive volumes to print - where do you think they'd get the money to give them away free?? :rolleyes: