Let's share ideas....I'm lost in my career...NEone else feel the same??

Is it possible that there is absolutely nothing that I am good at? I mean, I thought everyone has something they do well. Most of the times, people make a living doing whatever they do best.

I'm in college. I've changed my major four times. First Social Work, then Business Administration, then Hospitality, now Journalism. And I really don't think I'm cut out for journalism anymore because I'm failing the class. The assignments are very challenging for me. I lack interest in the topics I'm assigned. Or I'm not able to make a story interesting enough.

Anyway, I just don't know what I'm good at. I can't sing, dance, or play any sports. My favorite things have always been reading and writing. They still are. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can incorporate reading and writing into a career and be good at it so I can make my life more meaningful?

yeah reading and writing have been my strong points but somehow journo was not my line either try HR

tht involves a lot of communication with ppl requires you to be well read so u could try that.

Most people haven't found their way in college. I majored in Finance and Political Science. Now 6 years later I'm back in school for Conservation Biology :eek: I have a friend that changed her major so many times it took her 10 years to graduate. Now she's working doing nothing related to any of her majors and loves it.

I think you'll have a better idea when you get out and start working. Teaching English was a good suggestion, maybe publishing or editing. You could work for a Publisher, Newspaper, Magazine...the possibilities are endless.

I will share with you one of my favorite quotes: "Use the talents you posess, for the woods would be silent if no birds sang out but the best". You may not be the best at anything but there are things you can do, like read and write well.

Do what you love not what you think you should do.

• Author
Ever thought of teaching English?

Actually, yes! I have been thinking about it. The only problem is, I don't like the idea of being at school everyday for the rest of my career. And I get nervous speaking in front of crowds of people.

I've volunteered with children at an after school center. I helped them with homework, ect. That was better because it was more one on one than me being in charge of an entire class.

Sometimes, school systems can be tricky and very difficult to work for. It's even worse that it doesn't pay very well. I'm not sure I would love it enough to do it for little or no pay.

Sometimes, I can be antisocial as well. So whatever I do has to be something where I get a break from dealing with people sometime. Maybe work from home. Or have my own office.

Try publishing or public relations. You can use your reading and writing skills there, without having to account for a bunch of students on a daily basis.

Like a lot of students, especially those in liberal arts, I went through college not knowing what the hell I wanted to, so I settled for Journalism. I don't use it now, but it helped me to be a more effective thinker, so I guess it was the right thing to do. Now I work with computers... and I love it. A better future here than at a newspaper or magazine, that's for sure.

Actually, yes! I have been thinking about it. The only problem is, I don't like the idea of being at school everyday for the rest of my career. And I get nervous speaking in front of crowds of people.

I've volunteered with children at an after school center. I helped them with homework, ect. That was better because it was more one on one than me being in charge of an entire class.

Sometimes, school systems can be tricky and very difficult to work for. It's even worse that it doesn't pay very well. I'm not sure I would love it enough to do it for little or no pay.

Sometimes, I can be antisocial as well. So whatever I do has to be something where I get a break from dealing with people sometime. Maybe work from home. Or have my own office.

Perhaps not anti-social, just somewhat introverted...

If you are technically inclined, many library sciences are desperate for computer library sciences. Many businesses use them too. Content Management, document management. It's more fun than it sounds...check under IT and portal related subjects. Very big need for them, and they pay pretty good too.

If your not sure of what career path to pursue just yet, perhaps you can earn your degree in Liberal Arts or Interdiscplinary Studies. I know when I went to college, both these degrees offered flexablity in couse studies. You pretty much collaborate your own field of studies, even if it may be a variety!

My biggest reccomendation to you is not matter what, take plenty of computer and business courses. No matter what job you have, you will always use the computer and need a general understanding of business.

Aside from that, pick the courses that interest you.

Then when you graduate college, stick with an entry-level position which will enable you to assist various fields.

My first job out of college was a Receptionist position. But I did have various administrative duties including assisting Executive Management, HR, Acct, Marketing, and Sales departments. At this point in my life, I think that was the best job I ever had! I learned so much about business and different fields, I got along with everybody, they liked my work, and I learned many skills there. I suggest you pick an entry-level position for a company that's willing to introduce you to various fields.