70 hours a week and dying

After four months of sleep deprivation, I decided enough was enough and walked away from my night job during the middle of my shift. Didn't even say goodbye... just picked up and walked away. Things were getting worse, and I was starting to crack, emotionally speaking. Lack of sleep can do strange things to a person (prisoners of war must really loathe the "VIP" treatment).

No more working two jobs for me. I've learned my lesson. My day job is starting to pick up now, and they're talking about giving me a raise. We'll see how it turns out...

Yeah I am currently working two jobs and I'm just wondering how long I will be able to keep it up. I rarely have time to sit down for a decent meal and I don't get nearly enough sleep. I'm trying to do both jobs because I am looking to purchase a house soon, but at this point I don't know how much more I can take.

I was wondering why I aint seen your name here much lately

Screw 70 Hours a week man, thats rediculous, especially if your making good enough money with your day job.

Having a life and your health is more important than making extra money.

After four months of sleep deprivation, I decided enough was enough and walked away from my night job during the middle of my shift. Didn't even say goodbye... just picked up and walked away. Things were getting worse, and I was starting to crack, emotionally speaking. Lack of sleep can do strange things to a person (prisoners of war must really loathe the "VIP" treatment).

No more working two jobs for me. I've learned my lesson. My day job is starting tto o pick up now, and they're talking about giving me a raise. We'll see how it turns out...

need more money keep yor second job if you can where do you work at?

:laugh:

• Author

It was at a daily newspaper doing web production... now I know why I didn't become a journalist when I finished college. Honestly, I'm not sure why I took the job in the first place. At this point, I'm just grateful to have weekends again.

More money is nice, but not if you're paying a heavy price to get it. Ultimately, we all have to pay to get paid, but this job was supposed to be the easier of the two. However, the situation worsened and I felt it best to leave as soon as I could, since it started occupying more of my free time and distracting me at my day job, a job that pays a helluva lot more with great benefits to match.

It's kind of like a relationship... if it's making you miserable, get out. Not the first time I walked away from something, and who's to say I won't do it again?

The main point isto learn something from our experience and not repeat your mistakes. Other than that, you're free to have a many jobs and relationships as you wish.

Watch out for your health, Westner!

Working two jobs is hard, hard. My husband has done it for years, mainly because he's a teacher and doesn't make alot at the first job- but he loves it and doesn't want to do something else full time. I don't know how he does it frankly.....

After four months of sleep deprivation, I decided enough was enough and walked away from my night job during the middle of my shift.

I'm not surprised. 70 hours a wek??? :eek: Night shift working isn't good for people at the best of times (high rates of depression amongst night-workers), but to try combining it with a day job sounds absolutely lethal.

Glad things are going well with the day job.

I could retire now and still live pretty well so I don't have this problem. I love my day job and that is enough for me.

Aren't you like 26, how does some one your age accumulate enough wealth at that age to be able to make such a comment.

Westie, catch up on your sleep and maybe some clearity will help you think of some other ideas if things are still tight.

Aren't you like 26, how does some one your age accumulate enough wealth at that age to be able to make such a comment.

Westie, catch up on your sleep and maybe some clearity will help you think of some other ideas if things are still tight.

I made some wise stock investments. The money I get from my paycheck is fun money. I travel with it and go to nice restaurants. I can't be sitting in the house all day. I need to be productive.

I made some wise stock investments. The money I get from my paycheck is fun money. I travel with it and go to nice restaurants. I can't be sitting in the house all day. I need to be productive.

Woggle.. You are so full of yourself sometimes.. Do you know that at your age (26)to retire till you are 70-80 you would need in excess of 3.5 million-4 million dollars depending on your type of living which I guess is modest from some of the things that you have said in your posts.

Now I'm not saying that you don't have that kind of money but normally the person that you can't trust is someone that talks about how honest they are..

You are in almost every post talking about how rich you are .. Which just tells me that you don't have as much as you talk about...

You might think about trying to stop talking about your wealth here.. LS'ers don't care how much money you have or don't have for that matter.

Westernixer..I used to work the 70-100 hr work weeks when I was your age and I am so glad today that I stopped it.. You age prematurely and just lose your zest for life.

I quit when I got married to be a decent Step Dad and even though I'm not married anymore I will never go back to that kind of hel*..

Woggle.. You are so full of yourself sometimes.. Do you know that at your age to retire till you are 70 you would need in excess of 3.5 million-4 million dollars depending on your stype of living which I guess is modest from some of the things that you have said in your posts.

Now I'm not saying that you don't have that kind of money but normally the person that you can't trust is someone that talks about how honest they are..

You are in almost every post talking about how rich you are .. Which just tells me that you don't have as much as you talk about...

You might think about trying to stop talking about your wealth here.. LS'ers don't care how much money you have or don't have for that matter.

Westernixer..I used to work the 70-100 hr work weeks when I was your age and I am so glad today that I stopped it.. You age prematurely and just lose your zest for life.

I quit when I got married to be a decent Step Dad and even though I'm not married anymore I will never go back to that kind of hel*..

I am proud of myself because I grew up poor and I made it. I plan on investing in some things to generate more money. I don't even act like a rich person. People who meet me have no clue.

Woggle.. You are so full of yourself sometimes.. Do you know that at your age (26)to retire till you are 70-80 you would need in excess of 3.5 million-4 million dollars depending on your type of living which I guess is modest from some of the things that you have said in your posts.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

And for the record Woggle when someone is talking about having to work 2 jobs to make it and how it is affecting their health how exactly does posting about your so called wealth help in any way?? :confused:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

And for the record Woggle when someone is talking about having to work 2 jobs to make it and how it is affecting their health how exactly does posting about your so called wealth help in any way?? :confused:

I am talking about how I don't have to work 2 jobs. Why is it wrong take pride in myself? Should I hold my head in shame or something. I know I am a man of greatness so why should not say it.

I am talking about how I don't have to work 2 jobs. Why is it wrong take pride in myself? Should I hold my head in shame or something. I know I am a man of greatness so why should not say it.

I'm not knocking your accomplishments or the fact you take pride in them, good for you. Point is that your post offered nothing to the OP in terms of encouragement, suggestions or advice in any way. You just wanted to brag about yourself which is fine on the appropriate forum. But if Westy was down then you just proformed the equilavent of kicking him while he was down with that bragging post of your's. I suggest you start your own thread titled, Me, Me, Me and brag all you want but try being a little more sensitive to those that are posting about struggling financially.

Because this person is here for support not to have you rub it in their face that you have money (whether it's true or NOT) and don't need to work two jobs. Look up empathy in the dictionary, you're seriously lacking it.

To Westernxer...I used to work long hours, sometimes in the Finance industry that's just what you have to do, and I made a decision that it wasn't worth the money or career advancement to have no life. I remember walking by Trump's building where they were holding auditions for the Apprentice and there were people lined up around the block. I felt sorry for them because they were missing out on LIFE. I was once a serious type A and I'm so glad I'm not anymore. Success and money aren't everything. I know it's hard if you're struggling to pay the bills :( but it's good to see that you made the decision to get your life back. I also think Art is right, it really takes a toll on your health after a while.

No more working two jobs for me. I've learned my lesson. My day job is starting to pick up now, and they're talking about giving me a raise. We'll see how it turns out...

I feel for ya, nightshift SUCKS. I more or less worked 13 years on evening and nights. Screws up your poo sked, sleeping habits, etc. I suffered migraines constantly and any days I had off I was so out of it.

Good luck at the day job and hope you get that raise!

• Author

More power to Woggle if he can get away without working. Wish I could, but I'm not adept at working the stock market... financial speculation isn't my cup of tea. I'm better off saving money than making it, but I'm not the only one here who has to work for a living. Am I right? <snicker>