Keeping it professional

I have a colleague, she is quite a bit younger than me (11 years), smart and attractive. She recently asked me if I would workout with her outside of work, I gave a non committal wishy washy response (my fault I know). Normally I would be totally cool with it, but in the country I am living in (highly conservative) and in the company I am working for (very small) something is telling me this is not a good idea.

How can I politely tell her I don't mix work with leisure whilst keeping professional relationship normal? I dont want to seem cold or rude, or for her to feel like she can't ask for support in a professional context (my role is training local staff), just not sure spending time with her outside of work is a good idea

You don’t need me to point out the obvious dangers, definitely more downside than up.

Best to keep things clean and professional. I’d demure by telling her your status as trainer prohibits such outside activity. Not far from the truth...

Mr. Lucky

Well if you are a single bloke, dont look a gift horse in the mouth,

in like Flynn buddy,

I would not be worried about the "professional implications"

if your married better not.:D

Well if you are a single bloke, dont look a gift horse in the mouth,

in like Flynn buddy,

I would not be worried about the "professional implications"

I've been in the restaurant/nightclub business my entire career, and there was a time in my youth when I had your "low-hanging fruit" mentality. And trust me, there was plenty of opportunity.

Every single "gift horse" was ultimately more trouble than it was worth, and this was before the days of proactive and empowered HR departments and social media.

I'd stay clear of any extracurricular involvement. YMMV...

Mr. Lucky

Since your role is training / management I think you are right to be cautious in a conservative country & in a small company.

Just point blank say you don't think it would be appropriate to work out just the two of you but if she wanted to invite a few colleagues -- of if you invite them -- and change the tone to a group team building exercise.

• Author

Thank you for the replies! Foxhall that cracked me up, I have to say as a single guy it is very tempting and I nearly just went for it. But, Ive had flings in previous jobs and it rarely ended well and those were bigger companies.

I like d0nnivain's idea, thats a really excellent solution!