How do I get a contract extension

I have been stuck in contracting hell for three years now. It is really taking a toll on my kids. They are getting ready to attend their 6th school in 3 years. My current contract ends in February. As of now, they would have to move schools again in the middle of the school year. I would like for them to be able to remain for at least the entire school year. How do I convince my current employer that it is in their best interest to retain me until the end of May? They are going to be awarded a huge, huge contract in August 2020. Surely, they could find plenty for me to do from February until the contract award.

Currently, my kids suffer from anxiety, depression and all kinds of crap over all constant change and moving and; I too have a slew of health issues that were non-existent three years ago. Honestly, I wish I could get at least 10 years of stability to get them all the way through high and college and then go live the life of a nomad. It’s really sad that employers don’t think about how their needs of the business truly impact others besides just the employee.

It’s really sad that employers don’t think about how their needs of the business truly impact others besides just the employee.

Understood, but if employers didn't pay careful attention to the needs of their businesses, there'd be no one left to offer you a contract. Works both ways.

Several thoughts -

- have you thought about how you can maximize your value to the business? Most companies don't shed valuable assets, so perhaps you could cross-train or do something to make your status more permanent?

- if you have a spouse or partner, can you live in one place and work somewhere else for some period of time?

- even in fields where contract work is the norm, there are in-house jobs. Possible to be more selective in looking for one of those?

Might be time to think outside the box...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

Living somewhere separate and splitting up family for a nothing little temp job is not worth it. No employer should ever expect families to that for their needs. Unfortunately, I been stuck taking what’s offered. I usually hold out until the last possible moment on taking one of these jobs and turn many like it.

Last year, I got a great full time position with a great title and salary bump. On my 89th day (Thanksgiving week), we were told that the contract the company hired all us for was awarded to someone else. It took me four months to find the job I’m in now. I felt like I had no choice but to take it. My peers were laid off two months later even though we were all promised work. I have 10 more years where I absolutely have to have a job then, it’s just retirement and trip money after that.

You've figured out all the reasons your lot can't be improved, not sure how that helps you.

Like I said, you may need to get creative in order to address your situation...

Mr. Lucky

What options do you have for a permanent role? Is there much available in the market?

• 1 month later...
  • Author
What options do you have for a permanent role? Is there much available in the market?

I apply and interview for full time jobs all the time but only get offers for these short term temp jobs with the exception of the one full time job that flat out lied about the position being based a contract award that ended up going to another vendor.

So far, in the last month, I had about 20 interviews and 4 verbal offers for fuiltime jobs. Two of those promises never amounted to anything, one rescinded without any reason given and the last one promised a written offer last Friday. They contacted me Thursday afternoon and wanted me to interview with additional people which is just not right since I was already hired on the spot.

The last three years have been awful but, I’ve paid off a lot of debt, taken some cool trips despite these temp employers complaining because I want to take off a mere 6 to 10 days a year without pay, and managed to keep my home. I am not ashamed of jumping ship on these temp jobs to take another one because the contracts were ending. Think a lot of people would have given up and just let the bank take it all but to this day my creditors (even new ones, because they never verified employment) has no idea I work temp jobs. If I can keep this current temp job to keep me on until the end of the school year (or find another job) I will be debt free except for my part of the mortgage. I can pay that by working part time at McDonald’s.

Eternal Sunshine

What is your performance like st these temp roles? What feedback do you receive from the management?

Even in the industries where contracts are the norm, companies tend to find a way to keep high performers.

• Author
What is your performance like st these temp roles? What feedback do you receive from the management?

Even in the industries where contracts are the norm, companies tend to find a way to keep high performers.

I’ve never really been given feedback as I’m usually out the door and on to the next contract opportunity approximately every 8 months. My contracts usually end around 9-months to a year so I always go ahead and get something else just in case they aren’t going to extend them. I can’t be in a position of just having two weeks notice to find a job until next year. In all honestly, I don’t want or care about the feedback since it’s just a temp/contract job anyway.

Hoping the other companies proceeds with their offers this week. So burned out and numb from looking for a new job/interviewing every five minutes. Would like to have a few years to accurate time, vacation and an actual career path from a place. Not to mention to enjoy family time, purge/renovate my house and just enjoy life.

My attitude concerning temp jobs is “I here to collect my pay, do the job and go home”. I honestly don’t care about the companies I work for but have worked as a temp for some awesome companies. At least I’ll have stories to tell I guess.

To all the temp/contractors out there. You all are absolutely the most awesome people! I don’t know how you live your life’s in constant, chornic influx, deal with the disrespect of your peers/co-workers and survive in this crazy, instable job market. Hope everyone of you succeed and make it to the top!!! And oh, fire everyone who were jerks to you in your temp years unless they are willing to downgrade and work those temp jobs.

• Like 1

Good luck trying, but I'm afraid it's up to you to make life choices and career choices that don't require moving from pillar to post. It's not the obligation of the employer. There are plenty of jobs that don't require constant travel or relocation. Start looking right now for a different job right there where you are and put down roots, or make one last move to where you want to be and then don't move again.

It's a decision I had to make at a critical time in my life. I had just gotten a rent house and a dog and was to the point travel and being out all the time didn't appeal to me, but to stay in my line of work I'd have needed to relocate, and who knows how that would have worked out. I stayed. I changed my line of work and decided it was time for me to have a real home.

• Author

I’m on my third relocation for these jobs. I’m paying rent and a mortgage and all the bills that go with both properties. The only positive is the apartments are in great school zones so my kids are getting a better education. I plan to go back to the house after the end of this contract as it’s all the same no matter where I relocate too. Just need this contract extended until the end of May so my kids don’t fail and I have to drag out getting them off to college for another year.

• Author
I’m on my third relocation for these jobs. I’m paying rent and a mortgage and all the bills that go with both properties. The only positive is the apartments are in great school zones so my kids are getting a better education. I plan to go back to the house after the end of this contract as it’s all the same no matter where I relocate too. Just need this contract extended until the end of May so my kids don’t fail and I have to drag out getting them off to college for another year. The company that I currently temp for just got a $500 million dollar contract so they can definitely afford to pay me for two and half more months. My salary would be nickles to them.
Eternal Sunshine

I think you should just ask. I wouldn't talk about kids school as being the main reason. Just say that you have really enjoyed working there because of xyz and would like to continue...

• Like 1
The company that I currently temp for just got a $500 million dollar contract so they can definitely afford to pay me for two and half more months. My salary would be nickles to them.

You’re conflating two things that, in reality, have very little overlap.

Hope it works out for the school year...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Stop doing temp work. Why are you doing that?

It’s all I can get unfortunately. If I’m still doing temp work after I pay my mortgage off, I’m just leaving the workforce all together.