Doubts about quitting my job

When I started my career 20 years ago I worked for an American company in a very small and specific industry. I loved that job and the industry and would have liked to do that for the rest of my life. But my visa expired and I had to go back home. I found a good job at a company in a related industry over here and have been doing that for over 10 years now. I had never intended to stay with that company for that long (because I never fully enjoyed it), but it's well-paid, convenient, I like my co-workers... I just somehow ended up here.

Two of my childhood friends started their own company a few years ago and they're in the exact same industry as that American company I used to work for. They've been asking me if I wanted to join the team from the very beginning, but they weren't able to pay me as much as I currently earn and - as a single mom and in a city with extremely high rents etc., I just really depend on my salary. But now they've just won a big tender and they called me up again and said that they'd really like to have me on the team and were willing to offer me the same salary as my current employer.

I've already had three meetings with them and they definitely want me for the job. The company is a 10 minute walk from my place (right now I'm commuting 1h to my office...so that's 2 hours in the car every day). It's the industry I always wanted to go back to and my responsibilities there would make it my absolute dream job. It's almost too good to be true :love:

But there are a few BUTs that I'm currently obsessing about. Maybe you can help me clear my thoughts?

- The contract with this big new client is limited to one year. The client told them that if everything goes well they'll just renew it over and over again. But there's no guarantee. If they lose the client, they probably wouldn't be able to pay me as much as I need to earn. And I'd be giving up a very safe (but extremely boring) position for that.

- We aren't the closest friends, but still good friends (we grew up next to each other) and I'm a bit worried about that. We're very much on the same wave length and I'm sure that we'd be able to work very well as a team. But what happens when something doesn't go smoothly? Is it a mistake to work for good friends?

- We have very strict labour laws in this country. Right now this new company is a type of company that can't really hire me under the conditions that we agreed on. They have to make some legal changes and sign some contracts first. That won't happen until August. So technically I won't have any guarantee until August and it would be a bit risky to quit before that. BUT.... if I quit in July, I'd be out of there on November 1st (due to the 3 month period of notice). If I wait until August, my boss could insist on keeping me until December 1st. That's a problem because November is our busiest month. All our big events are in November and I'm in charge of organizing these events. He'd be stupid not to keep me until then. If I'd be out before November, I can very well imagine him letting me leave earlier. He'd have to hire somebody new anyway for the events and it would make sense to make the switch as soon as possible so the new person would be trained until November and he wouldn't have to pay two people for the same job. I'm a bit tempted to quit without having signed the new contract first. Too risky? What do you think?

If you took this job & things went sideways (they lost the contract after one year; you didn't like them as bosses; they couldn't change things around to legally comply with the labor laws etc) how hard would it be for you to get another job quickly? If you'd be snatched up pretty fast I'd say take the risk since you claim to be bored now & always wanted to stay in that industry.

• Author
) how hard would it be for you to get another job quickly?

Not sure. I sent out two job applications in the past two years. The first company would have hired me but for a lower salary, so that was a no. The second company didn't even invite me for a job interview.

My qualifications are quite good, but I'm in my early 40s. Finding a job in that industry (lots of start-ups with very young employees) probably doesn't get easier the older I get.

What do you think?

What's your financial situation? If you have enough saved to live on for a few months should the unexpected happen (BTW, it often does :eek: !), I'd pursue the new opportunity. However, if you're living paycheck-to-paycheck, tougher decision involved. Under those conditions, security trumps other considerations...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

Take a chance on it and hand in your notice now,

If you are good at the job as you are saying you will make a good impression and ensure the contract is renewed by this client,

if your still hanging around the old job in November, your heart will not be in it and that will not be good for yourself or your employer,

so Id say follow your dreams and take a chance on this new opportunity, then again I am a bit of a risk taker I suppose.

lonelyplanetmoon

Mr. lucky provides great advice.

You have to look at the whole picture when in a grass is greener situation.

The way I view life is to never do anything that I will regret and never regret anything that I do. So if I make a commitment, I will have thought it through completely with back up plans in tow. Planssss not plan.

Then if I do it, I just know that no matter what, I will make it work even if things don’t work out as planned. No regrets.

If you think you may regret, then stick with the current job until a better situation presents itself.

• Author
What's your financial situation?

No savings, really. But we have pretty good unemployment benefits here. In case I'd lose the job, I'd still receive 70% of my salary for 18 months. Should I decide to terminate the contract myself, I wouldn't get anything for 3 months, but then I'd get my 70% after that period. We also get child benefits, so I wouldn't have to worry about rent or feeding my kid (plus... she has a father who's doing quite well financially).

So...fortunately... there are no exentential worries. But it would still scratch my ego if things didn't work out as planned ;)

Eternal Sunshine

I would never leave one job without 100% securing the other (All contracts signed etc). And I have in-demand occupation and savings.

P.S. I would also never work for friends or start-ups...too much potential for drama.

P.S. I would also never work for friends

Good point. The term for friends you work for often becomes "ex-friends".

LauraXX, an additional point to consider...

Mr. Lucky

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks for your replies. Well, I have decided that I definitely want the new job. I took two days off my current job last week to try out the new one and help my friends out in the studio. It's definitely what I want to do and what I've always wanted to do, so I'd be crazy not to take the chance. However, I've decided that I won't quit before I've signed an actual contract. It's just too risky.

• Like 1