Fired because they didn't like me...

Ok so I was fired a few hours ago from my new job. The reason given was... they didn't like me. I didn't fit into the culture. It was news to me because I thought everything was great and clueless that they didn't like me. so... I've been thinking and maybe I need more of insight to why I don't fit into the culture. I'm wondering if the reason they don't like me is because I complained about that one guy hanging on me and pointing over my shoulder at the screen. I had to tell him to back off. If that is the reason or even a part of the reason... well... that could be a problem. I should not be penalized for wanting

personal space and he was invading my personal space. I did mention it

to my new boss and the staffing agency on the phone....

Since I am still under contract with the staffing agency I have asked them to look into it.

• Author

Romans 8:28 28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

:love:

It was news to me because I thought everything was great and clueless that they didn't like me. so...

Boy Rayce, I've had to fire a few people in my time and it shouldn't have been a surprise to any of them. Either they committed an egregious violation of company policy or failed to improve when notified of specific shortcomings.

Are you sure you didn't overlook some red flags and warning signs?

Mr. Lucky

Happy Lemming

Many years ago, I had started a new job and got laid off after being there just over a month. They made up some crap excuse about the company outsourcing my job. I really didn't care as I didn't really like the job.

Oddly about two days later, a company that I had interviewed at (prior to taking the job that laid me off) called me in for a second interview. I can only imagine the candidate they picked didn't work out, so I must have been choice #2. Any who, I got that job and it was a fantastic opportunity, moreover it was only 5 minutes from home.

It always seems when you lose a job or get terminated, a better one falls into your lap.

Mark my words, this is a blessing in disguise, you will land a much better job and be happier!!

• Like 3

Especially if you were a temp at that location through an agency there must be something more to it then them being upset that you asked for space. It costs a lot of money to replace a long term temp like that. Do go have a debrief conversation with the agency who placed you. Get them to give you pointers for fitting in better at the next place.

• Like 1

Is it possible you said something about God or your religion at work? That would likely not sit well in a place of employment.

I know it's something important to you but it's not for for workplace.

• Like 2

Firing someone because you don't like them is petty and can cause more problems that it's worth. Did they give you a reason?

Try not to take it too personally. You say it was a new job and it sounds like they were looking for a specific sort of fit, a personality type with a certain vibe. The fact that they felt you weren't a good fit doesn't mean there is something wrong with you. Sounds like they hired you on a sort of trial basis. They should have told you that when they hired you but where I live most jobs have a 3 month probationary period during which you can be let go at anytime for any reason.

• Author

I was hired to replace a disgruntle employee who they had training me. He is leaving the job at the end of the month of his own accord but he has no other job lined up. He hates working there and can't wait to leave. I was hired through the recruiting agency as contract to hire... it was to turn into full time permanent after he left. No I did not miss any red flags. I was getting along just fine with everyone there. I do not discuss sex, politics or religion in a workplace setting... never have. People are just too pc here to ever voice my own opinion about things like that at work. The reason given was that they didn't like me but I think it is because I complained about the guy that was man handling me. This is a different guy not the disgruntle employee training me. I'm sorry but it is inappropriate for some guy to grab me at my desk. He grabbed me on my left shoulder and leaned in over my right shoulder pointing at stuff over the screen. It made me feel every uncomfortable. I had to ask him to back off. I think that is why I was fired.

Happy Lemming
I was hired to replace a disgruntle employee who they had training me...

That happened to me once (many, many years ago). The guy was disgruntled and shared a few "items" that had happened to him in the past. I took his comments with a "grain of salt" and continued to learn the job from him.

A few weeks after he left, those "items" happened to me. I soon became disgruntled, as well.

Sometimes a "bad job" at a "bad company" is just that. I don't expect a job to be "Rainbows and Unicorns", but if I am having more bad days than good ones, I get out.

Whatever "disgruntled" the previous employee may still be at that company. I think you dodged a bullet, be glad you parted ways.

The next place will be better!!

• Like 1

It may not seem like it now, but you’re better off. The guy was a douche for that. It still amazes me what some people are allowed to get away with in the workplace these days. Guess it would have been too much trouble to punish him, so they fired you. Ridiculous.

Just to chime in here. I had to let a 6 month contract to hire go after two weeks. It became really clear that he was just not a fit culturally with our company. It was a remote sales job. He didn't fit with our mission, our culture or even our technology. We could tell we wouldn't be happy with him and honestly, he wouldn't be happy with us. Better to just part ways. It is sort of like the third Match.com date. We just went a fit for each other.

• Author
It may not seem like it now, but you’re better off. The guy was a douche for that. It still amazes me what some people are allowed to get away with in the workplace these days. Guess it would have been too much trouble to punish him, so they fired you. Ridiculous.

I know... I don't want to work for them now... but seriously... the position is funded by tax payer dollars and this behavior is still accepted in the workplace. A school district at that... so there you go. Not sure how I should of handle that one. Maybe not mention it to my boss if something like that should happen again?

• Author

@Mrin I've been fired after 4 days because of culture fit... seriously... that time all I got was a text message on my bus ride home that said don't bother to come back... no reason ever provided.

That time I knew exactly what happened. On the same floor as me was a woman that I had conflict with in a prior position about 10 years earlier... I guess she was still holding a grudge at that point. I was let go the same day we ran into each other.

I know... I don't want to work for them now... but seriously... the position is funded by tax payer dollars and this behavior is still accepted in the workplace. A school district at that... so there you go. Not sure how I should of handle that one. Maybe not mention it to my boss if something like that should happen again?

It's sadly just accepted because nobody wants to do anything about it anymore. He should have been fired for that BS. Not you. I'm sorry this has happened though. I can relate in a way, I got kicked out of a store I serviced for six years (I'm a vendor) over store politics just two months ago because the store manager didn't like me for whatever reason and put me out because of it. An employee that I was talking to about a possible opening with my company threw me under the bus when his boss found out and I suffered the consequences for it.

• Author

The recruiting agency is going to go by and pick up the items on my desk (coffee cup, water cup, mouse pad, paper stand.) and see if they can get a bit more information. They say they are committed to helping me find another position. I still have about a month of unemployment I draw on so next week I will start my job search again. Maybe I can one closer to home again. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

So the recruiting agency got back to me and now they are saying it is because they don't like my sql skills. Nothing about lack of PowerShell which would of been a legit reason. They misrepresented the job description asking for a different skill set than the one I have. Whatever... at least not liking my sql skills that's something I can bone up on. I can continue on with the PowerShell training on my own. At least those are something I can deal with but petty reasons such as we don't like you... that's just rude. Yep you guys are right I dodged a bullet there. Thanks for letting me vent!

Peace

Glad the agency backed you up & got answers. It does sound like you were a bad fit because they advertised the job wrong.

Happy hunting!

don't take this as a personal attack Rayce, it was only a business decision

@Mrin I've been fired after 4 days because of culture fit... seriously... that time all I got was a text message on my bus ride home that said don't bother to come back... no reason ever provided.

Again Rayce, this incident combined with the one you posted about might indicate some work to be done both in how you present yourself and how you interact with others.

Such self-examination might have long-term benefits...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author

Currently I'm hating people the world is full of just really mean people... are you one of them?

I am not in control of other people and why they may or may not be holding a grudge against me for 10 years. That was why I was fired after 4 days in the example you want to call out.

There is nothing wrong with the way I interact with others....either people like me or they don't. Again… without knowing me personally you are making a judgement about me... You just assume it was something to do with my behavior... that is the most common stance here. There is something wrong with you... go reflect. I reflect every single day so please stop with the it has to be something I did. About how I present myself? What do you mean... the way I dress? Maybe no makeup? What? Should I of let that guy hang all over me? I was very tactful in asking him to back off.

• Author

Mr. Lucky that incident happened over 5 years ago... I have had longevity in my work history.

• Like 1
Ok so I was fired a few hours ago from my new job. The reason given was... they didn't like me. I didn't fit into the culture. It was news to me because I thought everything was great and clueless that they didn't like me. so... I've been thinking and maybe I need more of insight to why I don't fit into the culture. I'm wondering if the reason they don't like me is because I complained about that one guy hanging on me and pointing over my shoulder at the screen. .

Well Except that one situation It’s hard for me to help you with little information. Well since you got fired it could be the truth that no one likes you. At the same time you can’t please everyone and as long as you do your work they can’t just fire you because of that situation.

Also how long have you been working there?

• Author

It had nothing to do with weather they liked me or not but more about how poorly they handled the situation. I was there only 3 weeks not even long enough to warm up to a department of over 50 people. Yes people can be phony and make you think they like you when in fact they can't stand you. The recruiter says this is not the case. I have no rights to work. I work in a "at will" state which means they can fire you for whatever reason they want. Employers are not even obligated to provide a reason.

I work in a "at will" state which means they can fire you for whatever reason they want. Employers are not even obligated to provide a reason.

That is true.

However if you were fired because you complained about being groped that would be an illegal reason which is prohibited. Here, even if that played a part in the decision, the employer will point to the fact that you don't have skills in . . .what did you say? sql? . . . whatever it was & claim that they only fired you because you could not do the job.

In order for someone to win a claim for discrimination that person has to prove they are qualified for the job. For example if I applied to be a surgeon & I wasn't hired, I could not cry that they discriminated against me because I'm a middle aged woman. Rather, I didn't get the job because I'm not a doctor.

I think the agency is on your side & really do think the job was misrepresented, which is why you were a bad fit. You had the skills for the job they advertised but the job was actually different & you didn't have those skills. Not your fault. Hopefully the agency will find you something else.