How to take this next step?

JustGettingBy

My work is promoting me to a full-time position in July (still working in housekeeping/janitorial work, but at least I'll be working 40 hours per week, so yay). One of the rooms I'll be cleaning is the marketing and communications office (my field of study, and the department seems to hire an average of one person a year based on how frequently I see postings). This is obviously a very good opportunity, but I need to play my cards right. Would it be taboo to casually raise the topic that this is what I studied? Of course, unless an opportunity pops up, I'll wait to raise the topic until after I've been cleaning that office for a couple of months and people have gotten to know me.

(my field of study, and the department seems to hire an average of one person a year based on how frequently I see postings).

I don't think it would hurt to express your interest, but the obvious approach would be to apply as that position is posted.

Besides your educational background, do you have work experience in the specific field?

Mr. Lucky

• Author
JustGettingBy
I don't think it would hurt to express your interest, but the obvious approach would be to apply as that position is posted.

Besides your educational background, do you have work experience in the specific field?

Mr. Lucky

I have over 4 years of experience which is a combination of volunteering, internships (both paid and unpaid), freelance work, seasonal part-time work and certifications gotten outside of school.

Take every "water cooler" opportunity that you can. Don't be pushy, but have casual conversations about how their day is going, ask about their work, etc.

Build that rapport over time, show your interest in the field and the company. And yes, it is okay to express interest in any openings coming up. Make sure to get to know at least a few of the people in managerial roles, as they will be the ones making hiring decisions.

• Like 1
I have over 4 years of experience which is a combination of volunteering, internships (both paid and unpaid), freelance work, seasonal part-time work and certifications gotten outside of school.

Interesting but perhaps not the career-specific experience they're looking for. It might also be difficult to navigate the transition from cleaning crew to marketing staff. Hard to accept, but you might have a better chance were you an outsider with the same resume applying for the job.

Wish you well, hope it works out...

Mr. Lucky

The jump from housekeeping to marketing is a large one. You should absolutely let the people you meet know you are interested. People hire people they know but it might be tough to get them to see you as an equal.

I hold a professional license & am self employed. Several years ago I was trying to break into corporate. I was offered a job as an assistant to a licensed professional to "get my foot in the door." I would have been reporting to somebody who had less then 1/2 my experience. I turned the job down telling the offeror that I did not think that anybody would ever respect me if I entered the team from that path. He agreed but did not have an opening for me.

Just be careful about the perceptions. You may have a better chance getting a marketing job for a competitor.

Eternal Sunshine

I think that it's too difficult of as jump. If I were you, I would apply for external jobs.

Perceptions of someone are formed early and nearly impossible to change.

The jump from housekeeping to marketing is a large one. You should absolutely let the people you meet know you are interested. People hire people they know but it might be tough to get them to see you as an equal.

Many years ago, I was in charge of management hiring and training for a regional restaurant chain. There was a local college with a solid restaurant/hospitality program, and the norm was to hire graduates from that school.

One day, the head of our small maintenance program came to me, expressing interest in getting into management. He was smart, organized, hard-working and a good problem solver. My boss initially refused to consider his transfer, he didn't fit the mold. I eventually got him in by "guaranteeing" his performance and was told, in no uncertain terms, it would be my a** if he was a waste of training dollars.

Fortunately for both of us, he turned out to be a great manager and worked for them successfully for a long time, even outlasting me. I still get Christmas cards from him. But it was one of the tougher sells I had.

JustGettingBy, you might focus your efforts on identifying one person to get on your side. I'd guess if you successfully make the switch, you'll be the first person in your company to have worked in both departments :) ...

Mr. Lucky

Edited by Mr. Lucky
  • Like 1

Perhaps no harm to mention your interest, you might get some opportunity if some of the workers in that marketing department were under pressure and needed some administrative assistance and so on,

you could then add this to your resume to give you a better chance of eventually obtaining a full role in line with your qualifications,

as alluded too much will depend on the attitude of these marketing folks, will there be a snobbish element or hopefully for you they will be accommodating.

Lotsgoingon

Definitely initiate some discussions about your interests and your major ...

But take your time ... do the job you have well ... just be in a reasonably good mood and there will be opportunities to discuss career options ...

Take your time ... and you don't want to start with "I majored in marketing." Rather, you want to ask about what they're doing .... and express an interest and then mention that this is your field.

Take your time. Don't rush ... Over time, you can some great conversations and great contacts that might be able to help you.

• Author
JustGettingBy

Wow, thanks to all who have responded. Clearly not a simple issue. I've still got time to figure this out, so I'll try and figure out the best approach.