How to handle potential problem

Hello all. I have been interviewing back to back at various places for a new position. I am anticipating a potential problem coming up and I wanted to get your opinion/advice on what to do. If I get offer A and start working there and then a few days or a week later, I get offer B, which is a better offer, what do I do? Of course, I'd want to take the better offer, but how to handle this after starting somewhere else?

I think it's a reality today that, just you're a probationary employee initially, you're also evaluating the company.

I'd take the new position, with the caveat I'm able to offer my current employer notice if they want it. Another obvious option is using the new opportunity as leverage with the existing position...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

There are a few questions you would need to ask yourself:

Are you okay burning bridges with the current employer?

You've only been there a short time, but it's not a good look professionally in most fields to leave so soon since the assumption is you took the job in good faith. Especially if you would ever consider working for the same company again.

If you're in a niche field, will jumping ship so soon have repercussions with other potential employers?

Self explanatory, will jumping to another job earn you a negative reputation with employers/recruiters/networking opportunities?

In the event that you do accept another offer, be professional through and through before leaving. Give notice in person, and give 100% until you officially leave. It can only help.

You don't necessarily need to tell the truth, but just keep a consistent story. "I felt XYZ was a better opportunity for me, and I do not want to cause any negative impact to the company or team."

I wouldn't even keep the job on my resume since it's so short. It just invites those uncomfortable questions you need to answer.

Contact position B and explain the situation to them, you've been offered job A but you won't take it if you're going to be offered a job with B because you don't want to mess employers around. This only speaks well of you and your consideration for a potential employer. If B want you they'll let you know if you're the successful candidate.