Which job should I take? I’m torn

delvinDande

Job #1 pros- convenient to where i live (7minute drive), easy job, raise every 3 months, off every other Sunday

Cons- starting pay $8, only up to 25 hours a week but some weeks they have extra hours available

Job #2 pros- pay $12.60, off three days, 40 hours a week

Cons- my whole shift i sit down, it's a 28 minute drive, i work every Sunday , shifts are 10 hours, point system as far as reliability

-Both jobs start at 10 a. m.

-On job #2 i get off at 9 pm every shift, on job #1 i get off at 9 sometimes and sometimes earlier

Job #1 I'm a cashier, merchandiser and stocker

Job#2 i do customer service (con because they told me i would have to deal with customers who will curse me out and occasionally call me out of my name)

UpwardForward
Job #1 pros- convenient to where i live (7minute drive), easy job, raise every 3 months, off every other Sunday

Cons- starting pay $8, only up to 25 hours a week but some weeks they have extra hours available

Job #2 pros- pay $12.60, off three days, 40 hours a week

Cons- my whole shift i sit down, it's a 28 minute drive, i work every Sunday , shifts are 10 hours, point system as far as reliability

-Both jobs start at 10 a. m.

-On job #2 i get off at 9 pm every shift, on job #1 i get off at 9 sometimes and sometimes earlier

Job #1 I'm a cashier, merchandiser and stocker

Job#2 i do customer service (con because they told me i would have to deal with customers who will curse me out and occasionally call me out of my name)

Wages and Hours are far better on job #2.

Outside of the better drive, it seems as if the best thing about job #1 is experience to take forward to other jobs i.e. cashier, merchandiser, stocker. Something to possibly take into consideration?

ChatroomHero

For me, working customer service was the worst. I would be nice to every customer and never knew who was going to come in and p*ss me off and ruin my day. I would dwell on things like guys mad because they couldn't afford their bill coming in and trash talking me. I felt that any time I was about 10 seconds from jumping over the counter and beating the hell out of someone calling me out.

When I originally started we wore a shirt and tie and the sales were professional and people were respectful. When the company changed to matching polo shirts, we became the equivalent to fast food workers over night and customers instantly changed to be abusive overnight. I could do customer service in a professional environment, but if I was being told before being hired that customers will basically attack and be rude and offensive...that tells me the company accepts and allows it (and in that way encourages customers to be more demeaning to get what they want). That would be a major no to me.

If they had said something like...Customers are going to be rude and nasty at times and we don't allow that and will back you up and let them know that is not acceptable behavior...it would be one thing. If they are basically telling you customers will scream and call you out and insult you and you basically just need to accept it as part of the job, that is completely different.

I have had managers that simply stood up for me and didn't allow that behavior and I have had managers where a customer would come in, throw something at me, insult me before I said a word, and the manager would immediately apologize to the customer and bend over backwards to give away free stuff. The best part was the customers were always happier when the managers stood their ground because they knew arguing and insulting until they got whatever they wanted was a wasted effort.

I would never go back to that environment where they indicated up front that customers will be awful and it is part of the job to take it, which is what job #2 sounds like they were telling you. If they said that customers will be awful at times but they fully support you and don't expect you to cow tow to an abusive customer, then I could deal with that.

So although #2 sounds like a better deal overall from the hours/money standpoint, I would never work for a company that allows it's customers to abuse and insult employees. If you are a model of patience and have worked customer service before and didn't mind it, then #2 sounds better.

• Author
delvinDande
For me, working customer service was the worst. I would be nice to every customer and never knew who was going to come in and p*ss me off and ruin my day. I would dwell on things like guys mad because they couldn't afford their bill coming in and trash talking me. I felt that any time I was about 10 seconds from jumping over the counter and beating the hell out of someone calling me out.

When I originally started we wore a shirt and tie and the sales were professional and people were respectful. When the company changed to matching polo shirts, we became the equivalent to fast food workers over night and customers instantly changed to be abusive overnight. I could do customer service in a professional environment, but if I was being told before being hired that customers will basically attack and be rude and offensive...that tells me the company accepts and allows it (and in that way encourages customers to be more demeaning to get what they want). That would be a major no to me.

If they had said something like...Customers are going to be rude and nasty at times and we don't allow that and will back you up and let them know that is not acceptable behavior...it would be one thing. If they are basically telling you customers will scream and call you out and insult you and you basically just need to accept it as part of the job, that is completely different.

I have had managers that simply stood up for me and didn't allow that behavior and I have had managers where a customer would come in, throw something at me, insult me before I said a word, and the manager would immediately apologize to the customer and bend over backwards to give away free stuff. The best part was the customers were always happier when the managers stood their ground because they knew arguing and insulting until they got whatever they wanted was a wasted effort.

I would never go back to that environment where they indicated up front that customers will be awful and it is part of the job to take it, which is what job #2 sounds like they were telling you. If they said that customers will be awful at times but they fully support you and don't expect you to cow tow to an abusive customer, then I could deal with that.

So although #2 sounds like a better deal overall from the hours/money standpoint, I would never work for a company that allows it's customers to abuse and insult employees. If you are a model of patience and have worked customer service before and didn't mind it, then #2 sounds better.

You summed up what i was thinking

Can we get more context? Are you planning to progress in either of these fields or are you just wanting something to tide you over while you study etc? Do you have any qualifications?

Personally I think $8/hr is bull**** and nobody should be allowed to even pay that. The minimum wage laws where you live must be atrocious. :( Also Job #1 only pays $200/week, can you even survive on that?

I'd drive further for the $12.60 one. It will help your resume, for one thing. As long as people think they can hire you for $8, it's hard to get paid more. This is your shot. 28 minutes driving is really nothing. You stop and get a breakfast burrito at McDonald's and have a leisurely drive. Especially since, like me, you don't have to drive in rush hour. Rush hour driving to a job is stressful. Going in after all that isn't. At some point, you may want a car with better gas mileage, but really, if you're in the city, you're just talking 30 minutes being maybe six miles. You'll find a shortcut too!

• Author
delvinDande
Can we get more context? Are you planning to progress in either of these fields or are you just wanting something to tide you over while you study etc? Do you have any qualifications?

Personally I think $8/hr is bull**** and nobody should be allowed to even pay that. The minimum wage laws where you live must be atrocious. :( Also Job #1 only pays $200/week, can you even survive on that?

I’m moving back in with my parents so i can go to school full time. So my only major bill is a $118 car note and a $100 dollar insurance

• Author
delvinDande
I'd drive further for the $12.60 one. It will help your resume, for one thing. As long as people think they can hire you for $8, it's hard to get paid more. This is your shot. 28 minutes driving is really nothing. You stop and get a breakfast burrito at McDonald's and have a leisurely drive. Especially since, like me, you don't have to drive in rush hour. Rush hour driving to a job is stressful. Going in after all that isn't. At some point, you may want a car with better gas mileage, but really, if you're in the city, you're just talking 30 minutes being maybe six miles. You'll find a shortcut too!

Yeah financially it is better. I think I’m just scared to do customer service again.

Well, I still think even with going back to school, you need a job that pays more than $8, which is pretty much minimum, on your resume. Work is work.

• Author
delvinDande
Well, I still think even with going back to school, you need a job that pays more than $8, which is pretty much minimum, on your resume. Work is work.

Yeah you’re right! I’m going to go ahead with the CSA job

• 3 weeks later...

hmmn this is interesting, in fact my own small country pays one of the highest minimum wages in the world,(only Australia that is significantly higher)

We pay just short of ten euro which

equates to $11.25 per hour,

I have often heard of Irish students making good money on summer visas to the USA but perhaps that arises more from tips and so on,

Your Job 2 sounds better to me- higher paid/more interaction with people and you still get 3 days off.