Is it safe to say that I didn’t get the job?

I had an interview on Monday, I thought it well, first the recruiter asked me a few questions then the hiring manager came in and interviewed me. Towards the end, she was telling me about other postions within the company, and encouraged me to apply for the other. She was telling me that she “still had other candidates to interview” and if they closely matched the position she will chose them, because it wouldn’t “be fair” as she told me and seems like she wants to give the candidates a chance. She then kept reassuring me that I’m still being considered for the job. Lastly she said I would hear back by Wednesday and I asked her if I would back regardless if I got the job. If I didn’t get it, I would get a rejection email from HR. Well, I haven’t gotten that rejection email yet. But just seems it doesn’t look promising at all. I get that they are still interviewing other people , but if she thought I was good wouldn’t they have hired me by now?

This is going to be a blow if I didn’t get it, considering I’m willing to work at this somewhat low paying job where I will make less money than what I’m making now.

bathtub-row

You being over-qualified may be the reason they would pass on you. Interviews for a position can take a lot of time and may drag out for 2 or 3 weeks. If you haven’t heard from them, then a decision probably hasn’t been made.

I think it was inappropriate for her to tell you about applying for other jobs and whether or not you’re still being considered. Regardless, you may want to do what she suggested and apply for other positions in their company. Try not to get too hung up one job.

• Author
You being over-qualified may be the reason they would pass on you. Interviews for a position can take a lot of time and may drag out for 2 or 3 weeks. If you haven’t heard from them, then a decision probably hasn’t been made.

I think it was inappropriate for her to tell you about applying for other jobs and whether or not you’re still being considered. Regardless, you may want to do what she suggested and apply for other positions in their company. Try not to get too hung up one job.

Being overqualified is a bad thing? So basically they want to hire someone with no experience. The position isn’t the same as what I’m doing now at my current job. I’m not sure if she means she would rather want someone who has had the same line of work, but still let’s just say it’s a job that a high schooler could get and requires just a high school diploma. I’ve been at my job for 12 years now. Doesn’t that prove that I have a great work ethnic,

GorillaTheater
Being overqualified is a bad thing?

The thought that may be lurking in the back of a potential employer's mind is that you're looking for a "filler" job until you find something that more closely matches your credentials.

As much of a hassle as it is to find a new employee, I imagine a lot of employers are like me and want someone for the long haul, not someone who's going to quit the moment a better opportunity arises. What I would do, though, is flat-out ask an "overqualified" person why they want the job. Sometimes their answer alleviates my concerns. Did they ask you that question?

But just seems it doesn’t look promising at all. I get that they are still interviewing other people , but if she thought I was good wouldn’t they have hired me by now?

Monday was 3 days ago, you're underestimating the length of time required to complete the hiring process. Give it at least a few more days before you jump to any conclusions...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

I just got a call from one of the other recruiters about the other position the hiring manager was telling me about, she wants me to come in next week to talk to the hiring managers of that position. I was like wtf? When I got the call I thought she was offering me the job, but no another stupid interview answering 20 “describe a time when you were happy..” at this point I’m getting really irritatied at these recruiters, and interviews.

Isn’t it a waste of time for me to come back again to interview. My god

It's a good sign they called you in for the other position, assuming you want it. I would look it up and see if it interests me, it may more closely match your credentials.

You were probably passed over for the first job offer. So try again if you really want it. If you are ambivalent, don't bother, they will notice. I have gone on loads of interviews.

What time were you happiest? Well, think of a happy moment at a job when you accomplished something meaningful. Or when you start this new job!